Are you looking for healthy dessert recipes you can serve your family without guilt? These skinny carrot zucchini bars are a great way to entice your family into eating their veggies.
They are packed with nutritional goodness from carrots, zucchini, raisins, walnuts and whole wheat pastry flour. and Low in fat, the whole recipe uses just 1/4 cup of canola oil. So you can serve these carrot zucchini bars without a lot of guilt. I added carrot puree to keep them moist with minimal fat.
In addition to being healthy, these carrot-zucchini bars are are quick and easy too. Just stir together the ingredients and spread the batter in a pan.
They are my entry in the healthy recipe contest being hosted by Fun & Food.
Wish me luck!
- 1½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour or white whole-wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups shredded carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (1 medium)
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup pureed carrots (I used a small jar of baby food carrots)
- ¼ cup honey, or maple syrup
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or orange zest (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees. Lightly grease the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and salt until well blended.
- In another bowl stir together the eggs, shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, brown sugar, raisins, walnuts, oil, pureed carrots and honey until well blended.
- Stir the carrot zucchini mixture into the flour mixture just until blended. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle the cooled carrot zucchini bars with a dusting of powdered sugar or spread with citrus cream cheese frosting made with reduced fat cream cheese.
- To make the icing, In a mixing bowl, beat the reduced fat cream cheese, sugar, juice and zest until fluffy.
I love carrot and zucchini filled baked goods. They somehow seem more wholesome. Here are some of my favorite recipes for baked goods with carrots and/or zucchini: