(Easy Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes #214 – Crock Pot Fruit Cocktail Cake)
We’re having a cool day today. It’s only 100 degrees! I haven’t turned my oven on for weeks. When the desire to bake strikes, I’ve been turning to my slow cooker.
Recently I had a craving for one of my favorite cakes from child hood, Mom’s Quick Lunch Box Cake, an easy one-bowl cake made with fruit cocktail, topped with chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
So, I decided to adapt the recipe and bake it in my new Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker. If you don’t yet have the casserole crock, a large oval slow cooker should work.
Moist and delicious, this crock pot fruit cocktail cake turned out even better than I had hoped.
Skinny on Crock Pot Fruit Cocktail Cake
As cakes go, this crock pot fruit cocktail cake is pretty healthy, with only 1/4 cup butter and no icing.
To bump up the nutritional profile even further, you could substitute white-wheat or whole wheat flour for all or some of the all-purpose flour.
According to my calculations each serving has 218 calories and 6* Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *10 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Crock Pot Fruit Cocktail Cake
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 can 16 ounces fruit cocktail packed in juice, undrained
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: Casserole Crock or 6-Quart
- Coat the slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar eggs, butter and fruit cocktail and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into the prepared slow cooker and sprinkle the top with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Place several layers of paper towels on top of the slow cooker and then set the lid in place.
- Cook on HIGH for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours, or until the cake is set to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Uncover and turn off the slow cooker. Let cool for at least 1 hour.
- *PointsPlus® for this crock pot fruit cocktail cake calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this recipe for crock pot fruit cocktail cake, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!