WW Recipe of the Day: Double German Chocolate Mini Cupcakes
(73 calories | 3 3 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
If you're a chocolate lover like me, then you may quickly fall in love with these super-cute (and delicious) Double German Chocolate Mini Cupcakes.
They baked up light and fluffy for me and with a little dollop of frosting, my taste buds - and belly - were singing!
I must admit, I usually am not a huge fan of pecans. But this recipe only calls for ¼ cup, and when mixed in the frosting with the brown sugar and coconut they add a nice little crunch.
The Skinny on Double German Chocolate Mini Cupcakes
Sauerkraut is the secret ingredient that keeps these cupcakes light and moist.
And apparently, even though the sauerkraut is rinsed well, the acidity from the brine helps them puff up nicely.
According to my calculations, each Mini German Chocolate Cupcake has about 73 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
I was so happy when the recipe for these yummy cupcakes popped into my email today from WW today showing a Freestyle SmartPoints value of *3! Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you've made these Skinny Mini German Chocolate Cupcakes, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Double German Chocolate Mini Cupcakes Recipe
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons hot coffee
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup low fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup low-sodium sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and finely chopped
For the Coconut-Pecan Frosting:
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup sweetened dried coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup fat free evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 24-cup mini muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with mini cupcake papers. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add cocoa powder and coffee and stir until dissolved. Stir in the buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla and continue beating until incorporated.
- Alternately add dry flour and cocoa mixtures just until combined - do not over mix. Fold in sauerkraut.
- Evenly add batter to prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Set pan on wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To toast coconut and pecans:
- Reduce oven to 300F degrees and spread coconut and pecans on baking sheet. Toast in oven until lightly browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- To prepare the Coconut-Pecan Frosting:
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together evaporated milk, cornstarch, brown sugar and salt until bubbling, about 2 minutes. Stir continuously until thick, about 1 more minute. Turn off heat and stir in the vanilla and ¼ cup of coconut and pecan mixture. Cool frosting to room temperature before spreading evenly over cupcakes. Sprinkle remaining coconut pecan mixture over cupcakes.
Source: Weight Watchers Magazine Nov/Dec 2014
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If You Like These Double Chocolate German Chocolate Mini Cupcakes, You Might Also Like:
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
- Weight Watchers Friendly Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares
- Weight Watchers Friendly No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- 4-Ingredient No-Bake "Brownies"
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!