WW Recipe of the Day: Carrot Cupcakes Made Lighter
Lighter, healthier carrot cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting that are just as moist and delicious as traditional carrot cake, in a perfectly portion-controlled package.
I've been a big carrot cake fan for as long as I can remember. It was my go-to dessert all through the late 1980s and early 1990s. I remember going to restaurants where I would bring home most of my dinner in a doggie bag just so I could indulge in a big delicious cream cheese frosted wedge.
That was before I joined Weight Watchers and started paying attention to things like calories and grams of fat.
According to eTools, a piece of carrot cake with cream cheese icing has 18 PointsPlus value. The triple-layer slice at Outback is even worse. It has about 1,290 calories, 174 g carbs, 68 g fat and 10 g protein for a whopping 58 WW SmartPoints (purple plan)!
Needless, to say, this isn't the kind of dessert I indulge in on a regular basis anymore, unless I'm sharing it with an entire table and having a bite or two.
But I haven't lost my taste for the wonderful flavors and textures of carrot cake.
That's where this recipe from Enlightened Cakes: More Than 100 Decadently Light Layer Cakes, Bundt Cakes, Cupcakes, Cheesecakes, and More, All with Less Fat and Fewer Calories by Camilla Saulsbury comes in. I adapted the recipe slightly, using the one bowl mixing approach from another one of Camilla's books, Piece of Cake!: One-Bowl, No-Fuss, From-Scratch Cakes , to make it as quick and easy as possible to mix.
I also substituted the canola oil in the cake and butter in the icing with MELT organic buttery spread. (I received two packages to sample and thought this was a great way to test it out, since it is supposed to cook and bake like butter.)
If you haven't heard of it (I hadn't), MELT is an organic spread that's a blend of virgin coconut oil, flaxseed oil, palm oil, canola oil and sunflower oil, with 80 calories and 2 PointsPlus per tablespoon. It's rich and creamy and I can taste the slightest hint of coconut, which I like.
I haven't tried MELT on my toast, since I prefer it spread with peanut butter or almond butter. But it was great when I used it on steamed veggies including broccoli and carrots. (For more information about MELT, check out the links at the bottom of the post.)
These cupcakes were a huge success. They satisfied my craving with just 6 PointsPlus. And Mom, who doesn't really like carrot flavored baked goods, gave them two thumbs ups proclaiming them, "the best carrot cake I've ever had."
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Cupcakes?
According to my calculations, each splurge-worthy frosted cupcake has 222 calories and:
11 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
11 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
11 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made these Frosted Carrot Cupcakes, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Enlightened Carrot Cupcakes Recipe
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (I substituted MELT Spread)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup finely shredded, peeled carrot (about 2 medium)
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained very well
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
For the Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 ounces ⅓-less-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (I used MELT Spread instead)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1-⅔ to 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg until well blended.
- Add the oil, vanilla, egg, carrots, and pineapple and stir until well blended. Gently stir in the dried cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing it evenly among them.
- Bake on the center of the oven for 16-18 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes and then remove the cupcakes from the pan and let them cool completely on the wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the lemon cream cheese icing. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter (or MELT spread), lemon zest, vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed until just blended and smooth.
- Gradually add 1-⅔ cups of the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in the lemon juice until blended. If the mixture seems to soft, add more sugar until you reach a nice spreading consistency.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, frost the cupcakes with the lemon cream cheese icing
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like these Enlightened Carrot Cupcakes, you might also like:
- Healthy Breakfast Mini-Muffins - loaded with carrots, apples, oats and whole wheat (Simple Nourished Living)
- Super Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing - a deep single layer cake with coconut (SkinnyTaste)
- Carrot-Orange Ginger Muffins - with the zing of fresh ginger (Weight Watchers)
- More about Melt healthy butter spread made with virgin coconut oil and flaxseed oil including flaxseed oil health benefits (Melt)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!