Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: WW Healthy Low Fat Carrot Cake with Pineapple and Cream Cheese Frosting
If you are looking for a low calorie, low fat, healthy carrot cake that is moist and delicious this is the carrot cake recipe for you!
I've been a carrot cake lover for as long as I can remember. The problem with most traditional carrot cakes is that they are heavy, sweet and packed with fat.
A typical homemade carrot cake recipe, like this one, contains a cup or more of oil and two cups of sugar—with each serving weighing in at a hefty 819 calories and *36 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Yikes!
This moist carrot cake is a light and healthy alternative thanks to a generous amount of crushed pineapple. It is one of the best carrot cakes I've ever tasted.
Moist and not too sweet, it was a huge hit with the entire family when I served it up for Easter Brunch.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Carrot Cake?
According to my calculations each slice of cake has 206 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
An amazing bargain when compared to most carrot cakes. You could also shave off more points by using Splenda or Truvia in place of the sugar in this recipe if you wanted.
This recipe was adapted from one I saw in Weight Watchers Best-Ever Desserts: 150 Cakes, Pies, Cookies, Bars, Breads and Tarts .
I made the following changes to the recipe from the original:
- Instead of making a traditional 2-layer cake, I baked the cake in an 8-inch spring form pan instead. This created taller single layer cake that took 35 to 40 minutes to bake.
- I used all purpose flour instead of cake flour.
- I increased the amount of canned crushed drained pineapple from 8 ounces to 20.
- I made a half batch of icing and spread it only on the top of the cake.
The recipe calls for ½ cup apple butter, which adds sweetness, spice and moisture. Though I haven't tried it yet, I think applesauce would be a fine substitute.
If you've made this Low Sugar Carrot Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
WW Moist Healthy Low Fat Carrot Cake with Pineapple & Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1-½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup apple butter (or applesauce)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1-½ cups shredded carrots (about 3 or 4)
- ½ cup raisins (I used golden raisins)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray an 8-inch springform pan with nonstick spray and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed until thickened, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the sugar, beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low. Beat in the apple butter and oil just until blended.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended.
- Stir in the pineapple, carrots, raisins and walnuts until well combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Release the springform pan and place the cake on a rack to completely cool.
- To make the frosting, in a medium bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed beat together the cream cheese, confectioner sugar, yogurt and vanilla until smooth, about 1 minute. Place in the fridge until ready to frost the cake.
- Place the cake on a serving plate. With a narrow metal spatula, coat the top of the cake evening with the frosting. Sprinkle the walnuts on top of the cake, if desired.
- Cut into 16 even wedges.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this WW Friendly Carrot Cake You Might Also Like:
- Enlightened Carrot Cupcakes
- Skinny Carrot Zucchini Bars
- Low Fat Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!