Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Shrimp with Garlic, Oil and Hot Peppers
As we wrap up our time here in Land O’Lakes, I’m working to use up what little food we have left in the larder and limiting our grocery purchases as much as I can.
Which means I’m seeking out simple recipes with as few ingredients as possible, like this Shrimp with Garlic, Oil and Hot Peppers.
I had everything I needed to make it except the shrimp. So when Rod headed out to make the 50 mile trip to the closest full service home improvement store for roofing nails, I asked him to pick up a pound at the grocery store on his way home.
The Skinny on Shrimp with Garlic, Oil and Hot Peppers
The recipe for this Scampi alla Veneziana comes from Patricia Wells’ Trattoria, a great cookbook filled with healthy, simple, hearty, flavorful fare inspired by the small family restaurants of Italy.
As Patricia explains in the recipe’s introduction, “Venice is a haven for fish and shellfish and this simple and beautiful dish is typical of the specialities found in waterside trattorias throughout that magic city. Pink, fresh, and glistening, this this a glorious dish, made for sharing at the table, along with crusty bread for soaking up the garlic-rich sauce, and a nicely chilled white wine, such as Pinot Grigio. I like to serve it as a first course, followed by a simple grilled or roasted chicken with potatoes and garlic mayonnaise.”
Instead of as an appetizer, we enjoyed our scampi as a main dish with a small serving of pasta and crispy romaine salad alongside.
In addition to being delicious, shrimp are a great “value” on the Weight Watchers SmartPoints Program (4 ounces raw shrimp = 1 SmartPoint). Shrimp are now Zero SmartPoints on the new WW Freestyle Program.
So the only significant source of calories/points in this dish comes from the olive oil.
The one major change I made was to cut back on the olive oil, using 1/4 cup rather than the suggested 1/2 cup.
To keep this meal low carb, serve with cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles or sauteed spinach, which is exactly what Dani Spies does in this Clean & Delicious video featuring Spicy Garlic Shrimp Over Spinach…
If you liked this recipe for Shrimp with Garlic, Oil and Hot Peppers, be sure to check out these other Weight Watchers friendly shrimp recipes: Crock Pot White Beans & Shrimp, Shrimp & Black Bean Salad, Skinny Sheet Pan Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli, Skinny Southern BBQ Shrimp and Weight Watchers No Cook Tex Mex Shrimp Rolls
Patricia Wells Shrimp with Garlic, Oil and Hot Peppers (Scampi alla Veneziana)
- 1 pound large shrimp, in their shells (I used peeled and deveined shrimp with tails on)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (I reduced to 1/4 cup)
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I used a big pinch)
- Coarse sea salt (I used Kosher salt)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Rinse the shrimp, pat them dry and set aside.
- In a skillet large enough to hold all the shrimp in a single layer, heat the olive oil over moderately high heat. When the oil is hot and shimmery, but not smoking, add the garlic, thyme, crushed red peppers and shrimp. Toss to coat with oil and cook, stirring occasionally, just until the shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes or so.
- Remove the pan from the heat and with a slotted spoon, scoop up the shrimp, placing them in a warmed serving platter or to warmed individual plates.
- Pour the sauce over the shrimp. Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
Source: Patricia Wells’ Trattoria
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy + Healthy Recipes with Shrimp:
Shrimp Cakes (SkinnyTaste)
Curried Shrimp with Cilantro, Garlic and Lime (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Shrimp-Boil Bake (HungryGirl)
Lemon & Herb Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Shrimp (EatYourselfSkinny)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!