WW Recipe of the Day: Easy & Tender Crock Pot Round Steak
Hearty and satisfying, this easy & tender slow cooker round steak is one of Rod's favorites. It reminded me a lot of the slow cooker beef with mushrooms I made a while back, another big hit.
What Is Round Steak Good For?
For people watching fat and calorie content, round steak makes a healthy choice. Round steak is a lean cut of beef. A 3-ounce serving of cooked lean round or loin steak, with all visible fat trimmed has 3 Points (green, blue purple).
Lean eye of the round, trimmed of excess fat has 2 Points (green, blue, purple) per 3-ounce serving.
Because it is so lean it can be tough if not cooked properly. This makes it perfect for slow cooking recipes such as swiss steak, bell pepper steak, and stews. During long slow cooking in the crock pot, round steak will become fork-tender and flavorful.
Weight Watcher Friendly Crock Pot Round Steak Recipe Notes
Instead of depending on cream of mushroom soup for thickening, you coat the pieces of steak in seasoned flour and then make a simple gravy before serving. The recipe calls for canned mushrooms, but you could always substitute fresh instead.
Substitutions and Variations:
- To make this even easier use a packet of onion soup mix in place of the onion, salt, and Worcestershire sauce. Substitute ½ cup water for the broth.
- To make this richer, stir in a couple tablespoons of light sour cream right before serving.
My pieces of steak were tender after about 4 hours, so I flipped the slow cooker to WARM until dinnertime. Simple yet satisfying, I will definitely make this again. Enjoy!
How Many Calories and Weight Watchers Points in this Slow Cooker Round Steak Recipe?
According to my calculations, each serving has 190 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
What Should I Serve with this Round Steak Recipe?
- I served it with baked potatoes and broccoli.
- It also would be delicious with rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.
- Practically any vegetable: peas, green beans, zucchini, corn, carrots, would work well as would a crispy green salad.
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you've made this crock pot round steak recipe, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Crock Pot Round Steak Recipe
- 1 pound round steak, cut ½ to ¾-inch thick
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium-large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained (or 6 ounces fresh)
- ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart.
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix together the ¼ cup flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Cut the steak into 4 even pieces.
- Dip the pieces of steak into seasoned flour, coating it lightly on all sides.
- Layer half the onions, half the steak and half the mushrooms in the slow cooker.
- Repeat layers with the remaining onions, steak and mushrooms.
- Stir together the beef broth and worcestershire sauce.
- Pour broth mixture over the mixture in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the steak to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Mix together the 2 tablespoons flour and water until smooth. Stir into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve the onion mushroom sauce over the steak.
Source: adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised and Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker (affiliate link) by Phyllis Good
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this easy healthy slow cooked round steak you might also like:
- Crock Pot Beef and Beer Carbonnade
- CrockPot Pepper Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef with Mushroom Sauce
- Slow Cooker Stew Beef & Gravy
- Slow Cooker Provencal Beef Stew with Olives
Today's food for thought…
"It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward."
~ Old Chinese Proverb
And weight loss tip…
"Use the half-plate rule: fill half your plate with veggies. They fill you up with far fewer calories. And are good for you too!"
~ Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think
Do you have a favorite motivational quote and/or weight loss tip? I'd love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the challenges. It was definitely informative. Your website is very helpful. Thank you for sharing.
This was so good!! I’m happy I found it :).
Thanks for letting us know Christine!
I tripled amounts and made recipe as written, except for browning the meat in olive oil before flouring and putting in crockpot. It was a wonderful meal served with mashed potatoes and salad. All the family loved it.