WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli
(238 calories | *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
This Olive Garden Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli Recipe is just slightly adapted from Stephanie’s A Year of Slow Cooking version. (She adapted it from a recipe for Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli on GeniusKitchen.com).
It got lots of rave reviews on her website and facebook page, where she posted it recently. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to give it a try.
How Many Calories/WW Points in this OG Pasta Fagioli Recipe?
This Olive Garden Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli recipe makes 10 (1-1/4 cup) servings. According to my calculations, each serving has 238 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Olive Garden’s Pasta Fagioli Recipe Notes
I had Olive Garden’s Pasta Fagioli for the first time a few weeks ago and liked it a lot. So, I was curious to see how this Olive Garden Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli Recipe would compare.
I made a few changes. Because it seemed plenty tomatoey, I eliminated 1 can of diced tomatoes. And I cut back on the hot pepper sauce. In Stephanie’s write up, she said the the taste of the Tabasco came through, which didn’t seem like a good thing to me.
I went back to the original recipe on Food.com and discovered that it calls for 1-1/2 teaspoons of Tabasco for twice as much soup as Stephanie’s recipe. She says to use 1 tablespoon. I cut it back to just 3/4 teaspoon.
I also cooked the pasta separately and added it at serving time. I sometimes hate the way dry pasta swells and absorbs so much liquid when you add it, uncooked, directly into soups.
I know this takes a little extra work, but to me it’s worth it, at least when I have the time and energy. If this seems not worth the effort, during the last half hour of cooking add 1 cup dry pasta right into your slow cooker and cook until tender, 15 to 30 minutes more.
I used my Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System , to make this Olive Garden Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli so I could brown the meat and slow cook the soup without dirtying a separate skillet. I love this feature of the Ninja.
We all loved this hearty and delicious soup. It’s definitely one I will be making again. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Pasta Fagioli, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Olive Garden Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli Recipe
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 ar (24 to 26 ounces) tomato-basil marinara or pasta sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/4 cups dry pasta (I used fusilli, but shells or ditalini would work well, cooked separately according to the package directions.)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional, for serving)
- Grated Parmesan (optional, for serving)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 6- to 7-Quart.
- Stir together the cooked and drained ground beef, onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, beans, broth, pasta sauce, oregano, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, or until the vegetables are as tender as you like them.
- When ready to serve, stir the cooked pasta into the soup. Taste the soup and adjust the salt and herbs to suit your tastes.
- Serve with grated parmesan and a sprinkling of fresh parsley, if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Olive Garden Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli recipe, you might also like:
- Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Chicken Pasta Fagioli
- Weight Watchers Italian Beef and Lentil Slow Cooker Stew
- Weight Watchers Simply Filling Slow Cooker Bean and Cabbage Soup
Linked at Living Well Spending Less
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!