WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
(190 calories | *8 WW SmartPoints)
This light and luscious slow cooked lemon poppy seed cake tastes like a moist lemon poppy seed muffin, only better.
It’s an upside down cake that creates a custard-like topping while baking.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
We’re in the middle of lemon season here in Phoenix, so I’m always on the lookout for ways to use lemons and lemon juice.
And Rod loves lemon desserts, so this slow cooker lemon poppy-seed cake from the Gooseberry Patch Slow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook seemed like a winning choice.
To lighten it up, I substituted non-fat plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream.
We both really enjoyed this, but Mom, who scrunches up her nose at the words “lemon poppy seed,” wouldn’t even try it!
You’ll want to be careful when inverting the cake onto a plate. I didn’t let mine cool long enough and the lemon topping splashed out, burning my hand.
Am I the only one subject to kitchen mishaps like this? Maybe I should have a blog category for all my “kitchen mishaps and disasters!”
According to my calculations, each serving has about 190 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *8 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
If you like this slow cooked lemon poppy seed cake, check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including WW Low Fat Lemon Bars, Slow Cooker Lemon Cake, No-Bake Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake, Easy Lemon Trifle with Blueberries and Fruit Skewers with Lemon Cheesecake Dip
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Low Sugar Lemon Poppy Seed Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
- 1 package (14 to 16 ounces) lemon poppy seed muffin or bread mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2- to 4-Quart.
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the dry muffin mix, egg, yogurt and water until well blended.
- Spread the batter evenly into the greased slow cooker.
- In a small saucepan combine the butter, sugar lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup water. Bring it to a boil. Pour the boiling lemon mixture over the batter in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 2-1/2 hours until the cake is set and the edges are golden.
- Remove lid CAREFULLY so condensation from lid does not drip onto the cake!
- Turn off the slow cooker and let the cake cool in the slow cooker for about 30 minutes, uncovered.
- When cool enough to handle, hold a large plate with a rim over the top of the slow cooker and invert to turn out the cake. (Be careful!!! I burned myself with hot lemon juice that splashed out as I was inverting this cake. Be sure that it is cool enough to handle but not so cool that it sticks. Use a large plate with a rim to catch the lemon custard topping and avoid hurting yourself!)
Source: adapted from Gooseberry Patch Slow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.This video from Better Homes & Garden shows how to make incredibly easy slow cooker lemon poppy seed bread:
More Weight Watchers Recipes with Lemon:
- Lemon Supreme Pound Cake
- Low Fat Lemon Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
- Savory Lemon Rosemary Blueberry Bread
- Lemon Coconut Tea Cake
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!