WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Chocolate Chip Gingerbread
Every year, sometime during the fall or winter, I get a hankering for old-fashioned gingerbread.
This year my craving arrived late last week, as I was still struggling with the sneezing and sniffling of a lingering cold.
While I wanted my gingerbread, I didn't feel like exerting much energy.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Chocolate Chip Gingerbread
And since this is my year of the crockpot, I decided to make an easy slow cooker gingerbread using a cake mix.
To keep things interesting, I stirred a little cocoa powder and few mini chocolate chips into the mix.
This easy slow cooker gingerbread with chocolate chips was just what I needed to satisfy my craving for another year. Rod liked it too, but then again, he's a man who rarely meets a cake he doesn't like 🙂
How to Bake Gingerbread in a Slow Cooker?
Did you know you could bake in a slow cooker (crock pot)? A slow cooker/crockpot can produce incredible desserts like this easy gingerbread from a mix.
You might be thinking, "Why would would anyone use their slow cooker for baking?" It is really handy if you live in a dorm or don't have access to an oven or for those times when your oven is already full.
Also, it doesn't heat up your kitchen, which can be an important consideration when you live someplace like Phoenix, Arizona, like I do.
Because cakes bake in a moist environment at a lower temperature, they turn out moister than cakes baked in the oven, a real boon for Weight Watchers who often bake with less fat. You are also much less likely to overcook/burn a cake baked in the slow cooker!
For this recipe you will need a pan/baking dish that will fit into your slow cooker. I used my 7-inch by 4-inch cake pan (affiliate link). Depending on the size and shape of your slow cooker, a springform pan (affiliate link) or loaf pan (affiliate link) might also work.
Once you’ve filled the slow cooker, but before switching it on, you will want to prop open the lid with a wooden spoon (affiliate link) handle or chopstick. Doing this eliminates condensation from collecting on the underside of the lid and possibly dripping back into your gingerbread.
How Many Calories/WW Points in Slow Cooker Chocolate Chip Gingerbread?
One great thing about gingerbread, even the kind from a mix, is that it tends to be much lower in fat and sugar than other kinds of cakes.
According to my calculations, each slice has 187 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
Are You Ready To Slow Cook Yourself Slim?
If you've made this Chocolate Chip Gingerbread, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Easy Slow Cooker Gingerbread with Chocolate Chips
- 1 package (14-½ ounces) Gingerbread mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 1 egg (or amount called for on your package)
- 1-¼ cups water (or amount called for on your package)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Ideal slow cooker size: 6-Quart.
- Grease and flour a baking pan that will fit in your slow cooker. A loaf pan or round cake pan are good options. I used a round springform pan with a 7-½-inch diameter.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cake mix, egg, water and cocoa powder until well blended and smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a your prepared baking pan and spread it out evenly.
- Place in the slow cooker.
- Place a chopstick or wooden spoon handle at one end of the slow cooker to vent the lid. (The slow cooker should be covered but propped open a crack at one end to prevent condensation from building up and dripping back into your cake.)
- Bake on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Carefully remove from the slow cooker and place your baking pan on a rack to cool.
- Slice into 12 servings.
- Enjoy warm with a bit of whipped cream, if desired.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this easy slow cooked gingerbread with chocolate chips you might also like:
- Low-Fat Gingerbread Truffles
- Slow Cooker Bundt Cake (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Apple Cake (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Gingerbread Pudding Cake with Apples (Betty Crocker)
- Slow Cooker Gingerbread Oatmeal (Healthy Slow Cooking)
- Slow Cooker Gingerbread Latte (Year of Slow Cooking)
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Leave a Reply