Happy Easter to all of you who are celebrating.
We’re having a relaxing weekend at home with nothing scheduled other than a casual Easter dinner on Sunday.
If the weather stays as perfect as it’s been here lately, we’ll get to enjoy it on the patio.
This is the Lemon Coconut Tea Cake I baked for my mom for her birthday.
It’s not your typical birthday cake since she prefers plain unfrosted cakes like pound cakes, bundt cakes and coffee cakes. (Last year I made her this lighter homemade pound cake from scratch.)
As I was scanning cookbooks for ideas, I came across this recipe for lemon coconut tea cake, which I thought sounded perfect (Mom’s a lemon and coconut fan), in Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, a beautiful book I don’t use nearly enough.
Instead of baking a large (10- to 12-cup) bundt cake, I divided the batter and made one small 6-cup bundt cake for her and a few mini 1-cup bundts for us.
Moist, plain but very satisfying in it’s simplicity, it’s the kind of cake both she and I like best. I gave it a light dusting of confectioner’s sugar to dress it up just a bit for the photo.
According to my calculations, each slice has about 221 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *10 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this lemon coconut cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Lemon Coconut Tea Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into several pieces
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 large eggs, preferably at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons dark rum (optional)
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease a 10- to 12-cup Bundt pan. ( I used a 6-cup Bundt pan and 5 mini 1-cup bundt pans instead)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Pour the coconut milk into a small saucepan. (Be sure to stir it well before measuring it.) Add the butter and heat, stirring occasionally, until the milk is hot and butter is melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the zest and lemon juice. Keep the mixture warm until ready to add it to the cake batter.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. (Or in a large bowl, if using a hand mixer.) Beat the eggs and sugar at medium-high speed until pale, thick and almost doubled in volume, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla and rum, if you are using it.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed and stopping as soon as the flour disappears.
- With the mixer on low, add the coconut and mix until it is just blended into the batter. Add the hot milk and butter mixture in a slow steady stream. When the mixture is smooth, stop the mixing and stir gently a couple of times with a rubber spatula to make sure everything has been well blended.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan (or pans) and shake the pan back and forth a few times to even it out.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a thin knife inserted deep into the center comes out clean. (My smaller 6-cup Bundt was done in 40 minutes and my mini 1-cup cakes in 30 minutes.)
- Remove the cakes from the oven place on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes before unmolding onto the wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If You Liked this Lemon Coconut Tea Cake You Might Also Like:
- Easy Lemon Supreme Pound Cake (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Lightened Up Lemon Cream Cheesecake Bars (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake (Weight Watchers)
- Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake (Weight Watchers)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!