Here’s a quick and easy last minute 4th of July dessert idea that doesn’t require getting near the stove: red white and blue fruit skewers.
Of course, they would be perfect for Memorial Day too!
Just thread fruit and other selected ingredients on bamboo skewers in pretty alternating patterns. Voila, a fun and festive dessert that will please young and old alike. (What is it about food on a stick, anyway?)
You can customize your red white and blue fruit skewers with whatever fruit and other ingredients you have on hand. I used blueberries, strawberries, banana slices, mini marshmallows and cubes of leftover Madeira cake, combining them in different ways.
Raspberries, seedless red grapes, and cubes of watermelon or angel food cake would all work well too.
Keep your red white and blue fruit skewers ultra Weight Watchers Friendly by making them with just fruit for a Points value of 0. (I used strawberries, blueberries and banana slices)
Or sweeten them up a bit with the addition of a few mini marshmallows.
Or indulge a bit with little cubes of cake and a light lemon cheesecake dip.
Skinny on Red White & Blue Fruit Skewers
I wanted a dip to go with these fun red white and blue fruit skewers.
Then I remembered the leftover lemon curd cheese spread I had in the fridge. (That I made for my strawberry dessert bruschetta.)
I created a light creamy dip by stirring in a little vanilla Greek yogurt. It tasted like lemon cheesecake with only *1 WW Freestyle SmartPoint per tablespoon 🙂 (Am I the only one who gets a thrill out of turning leftovers into something new and tasty?)
Another nice thing about these fruit kabobs is that you can make as few or as many as you need. Assemble them ahead and then cover and refrigerate them until you’re ready to serve.
According to my calculations, 5 mini marshmallows have 10 calories. That means these fruit and marshmallow skewers are also *0 Weight Watchers PointsPlus or *1 Freestyle SmartPoint per serving!
The skewers made with fruit and two cubes of leftover Madeira cake have *2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, or *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. (Each cube of cake has *1 PointsPlus, or *2 Freestyle SmartPoints.)
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made these fruit kebabs, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Red, White and Blue Fruit Skewers with Light Lemon Cheesecake Dip
For the Skewers
- Bamboo skewers
- Strawberries, cut up into halves or quarters depending on their size
- Bananas, sliced
- Mini marshmallows
- Slices of pound cake, cut into cubes
For the Lemon Cheesecake Dip
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) light tub-style cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons jarred lemon curd
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek vanilla yogurt
- Thread your ingredients onto the bamboo skewers, alternating them in fun patterns and combinations.
- Note: If using marshmallows, it's best to slide on a piece of fruit prior to a marshmallow to help lubricate the skewer and prevent the marshmallow from making the skewer sticky.
- To make the dip, beat together the cream cheese, lemon curd and yogurt until light and creamy.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More WW Friendly Fruit Desserts
- Fresh Fruit Kabobs (SkinnyTaste)
- Rainbow Fruit Skewers (SnackGirl)
- WW Red, White & Blue Cheesecake Salad (LifeIsSweeterByDesign)
- Red, White + Blue Fruit Pizza (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!