Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Banana Nut Muffins
(137 calories | 8 8 8 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
My three over-ripe bananas on the counter needed to be tossed into the freezer for future use or turned into banana bread or banana muffins.
I opted to make some banana nut muffins 🙂
This morning I opted for banana nut muffins since they bake in about a third of the time of banana bread.
The Skinny on Banana Nut Muffins
This is one of the best basic banana nut muffin recipes I’ve tried. It’s a classic, enhanced with a little healthy whole-wheat flour for its texture and nutty flavor.
If you don’t like nuts in your banana muffins skip them.
According to my calculations, each banana muffin has about 137 calories and:
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Favorite Banana Nut Muffins Recipe Variations:
Chocolate Chip Coconut Banana Muffins: Add 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup coconut instead of the nuts.
Banana Pineapple Nut Muffins: Add 1/2 cup well-drained crushed pineapple into the banana mixture and replace the walnuts with pecans or macadamia nuts.
Banana Bread: This banana nut muffin recipe can easily be made into banana nut bread. Just pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-1/2×4-1/2-inch loaf pan and bake at 350F degrees for about 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. If you are using a glass loaf pan , lower the temperature to 325F degrees and bake about ten minutes less, since glass is a better heat conductor than metal and the bread will bake faster.
Muffin Baking Tips
Oven Temperature Difference If Using A Metal or Glass Baking Pan:
If you like these banana nut muffins, be sure to check out some of my other favorite Weight Watchers friendly banana recipes including Simple Low-Fat Banana Bread, Banana Cashew Mini Muffins, Low-Fat Chocolate Banana Bread, Chunky Low-Fat Banana Bran Muffins and Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
If you’ve made these Banana Walnut Muffins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Banana Nut Muffins Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil, or melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 2 to 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nuts.
- In a large bowl, stir with a whisk or beat with an electric mixer until well combined the light brown sugar, canola oil or melted butter, eggs, bananas and teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Do not over mix; the batter shouldn't be smooth.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups. I like to use an ice cream scoop for this.
- Bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, usually about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for a few minutes and serve warm, or remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Recipe Source: This classic banana nut muffin recipe is adapted from The Weekend Baker : Irresistible Recipes, Simple Techniques, And Stress Free Strategies For Busy People by Abigail Johnson Dodge
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch Lacey Baier (A Sweet Pea Chef) demonstrate how she makes her own version of easy banana nut muffins:
More Lightened Up Banana Muffin & Bread Recipes:
- Skinny Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Banana Bran Chocolate Chip Bread
- Individual “Banana Bread” Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Low-Fat Banana Bread with Dates & Apricots
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!