(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 125)
After more than a week of making and eating Slow Cooker Super Bowl food my body is ready for soup.
A crock pot of soup is the easiest, most delicious way I know to get back into balance after too much feasting.
At times like this, I can always count on the simple, mostly vegetarian soup recipes in Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Brother Victor D’Avila-Latourrette to come to my rescue.
Like this slow cooker pasta soup with mushrooms and peas, which I adapted for the slow cooker.
To make it more Weight Watchers friendly I cut back on the olive oil and wine. And made a few other modifications based on what I had on hand.
It was just what I wanted. Simple. Tasty. Light. Satisfying.
If you too are in need of a little post game recovery, I highly recommend it.
Each cup has just 156 calories and 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus. You can make it Simply Filling by replacing the wine with another 1/2 cup vegetable broth and and using whole wheat pasta.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup small soup pasta (orzo, shells, alphabets, etc)
- Sprinkle dried marjoram and grated parmesan as garnish, if desired
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2-Quart.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the onion, garlic and olive oil. Microwave, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the mushrooms, broth, wine, bay leaf, thyme, and Italian seasoning.
- Cover and cook on LOW 2 to 3 hours until mushrooms are tender. Add the peas and pasta and cook until pasta is tender 10 to 20 minutes more.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm, garnished with grated parmesan.
To make this slow cooker pasta soup work for Simply Filling, replace the wine with another ½ cup of vegetable broth and use whole wheat pasta.
Source: adapted from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups
If you liked this slow cooker pasta soup you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker pasta soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.