(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 149)
Hearty and satisfying, this savory slow cooker round steak is one of Rod’s favorites.
When I served it for dinner recently with baked potatoes and broccoli he was one happy camper.
It also would be delicious with rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.
And practically any vegetable: peas, green beans, zucchini, corn, carrots.
Easy and flavorful, this savory slow cooker round steak reminded me a lot of the slow cooker beef with mushrooms I made a while back.
Except instead of depending on cream of mushroom soup for thickening, you coat the pieces of steak in seasoned flour and then make a simple gravy before serving. The recipe calls for canned mushrooms, but you could always substitute fresh instead.
My pieces of steak were tender after about 4 hours, so I flipped the slow cooker to WARM until dinnertime.
I’d definitely make this again.
- 1 pound round steak, cut ½ to ¾-inch thick
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium-large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained (or 6 ounces fresh)
- ½ cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix together the ¼ cup flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Cut the steak into 4 even pieces.
- Dip the pieces of steak into seasoned flour, coating it lightly on all sides.
- Layer half the onions, half the steak and half the mushrooms in the slow cooker.
- Repeat layers with the remaining onions, steak and mushrooms.
- Stir together the beef broth and worcestershire sauce.
- Pour broth mixture over the mixture in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the steak to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Mix together the 2 tablespoons flour and water until smooth. Stir into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve the onion mushroom sauce over the steak.
My savory slow cooker round steak was tender after about 4 hours so I flipped my crockpot to warm until dinnertime.
If you liked this savory slow cooker round steak recipe you might also like:
Crock Pot Beef and Beer Carbonnade
CrockPot Pepper Steak
Slow Cooker Beef with Mushroom Sauce
*PointsPlus® for savory slow cooker round steak calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Today’s food for thought…
“It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward.”
~ Old Chinese Proverb
And weight loss tip…
“Use the half-plate rule: fill half your plate with veggies. They fill you up with far fewer calories. And are good for you too!”
~ Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think
Do you have a favorite motivational quote and/or weight loss tip? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!