A couple of weeks ago I received this recipe for this easy healthy baked chicken parmesan from one of my Weight Watcher’s AT WORK meeting members, who said it’s a dish her whole family enjoys. As soon as I read the description, lightly breaded chicken cutlets topped with sliced fresh tomatoes, basil leaves and a sprinkling of mozzarella, and then quickly baked, I added it to my list of “must try” recipes. (The recipe is from the Weight Watchers cookbook, Simply Delicious : 245 No-Fuss Recipes–All 8 POINTS or Less, which has now been added to my Amazon Wish List.)
To save fat and calories, I’ve been baking my chicken parmesan for years, using a more traditional topping of marinara sauce and mozzarella. This sounded even lighter and healthier.
Skinny on Weight Watchers Baked Chicken Parmesan
To increase the crispy factor of this healthy baked chicken parmesan, I used Panko instead of the plain dry bread crumbs called for. And following the instructions to brush the chicken with reduced-calorie mayonnaise before coating with the crumbs kept the chicken incredibly moist and tender.
As you can see from the photo, my chicken breasts were much bigger than 4 ounces, so I used my Weight Watchers Points Plus Electronic Food Scale and divided them into reasonable portions before serving.
A refreshing change from traditional chicken parmesan, Rod and I liked this easy healthy baked chicken parmesan so much we ended up eating this lighter healthier version two nights in a row.
- 4 (4 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even ½-inch thickness
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain Panko bread crumbs
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 basil leaves
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and then brush both sides of them with the mayonnaise.
- Place the crumbs in a large zipper-close plastic bag. Add the chicken breasts, one at a time, and shake to coat evenly with the crumbs.
- Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Top each piece of chicken with the tomato slices and then drizzle evenly with the oil.
- Top each tomato slice with the basil and then sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly and beginning to turn lightly golden, 12 to 18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve
Source: Slightly adapted from Simply Delicious : 245 No-Fuss Recipes–All 8 POINTS or Less
*PointsPlus® for Weight Watchers Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Links to More Lightened-Up Baked Chicken Recipes:
- Baked Chicken Parmesan – a lighter take on the classic (SkinnyTaste)
- Crusted Honey Mustard Chicken – dipped in honey mustard dressing, coated with cornflake crumbs and baked (Weight Watchers)
- Skinny Maple Glazed Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (Simple Nourished Living)
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!