A couple of weeks ago I received this recipe for this easy healthy baked chicken parmesan from one of my Weight Watcher’s AT WORK meeting members, who said it’s a dish her whole family enjoys. As soon as I read the description, lightly breaded chicken cutlets topped with sliced fresh tomatoes, basil leaves and a sprinkling of mozzarella, and then quickly baked, I added it to my list of “must try” recipes. (The recipe is from the Weight Watchers cookbook, Simply Delicious : 245 No-Fuss Recipes–All 8 POINTS or Less, which has now been added to my Amazon Wish List.)
To save fat and calories, I’ve been baking my chicken parmesan for years, using a more traditional topping of marinara sauce and mozzarella. This sounded even lighter and healthier.
To increase the crispy factor of this healthy baked chicken parmesan, I used Panko instead of the plain dry bread crumbs called for. And following the instructions to brush the chicken with reduced-calorie mayonnaise before coating with the crumbs kept the chicken incredibly moist and tender.
As you can see from the photo, my chicken breasts were much bigger than 4 ounces, so I used my Weight Watchers Points Plus Electronic Food Scale and divided them into reasonable portions before serving.
A refreshing change from traditional chicken parmesan, Rod and I liked this easy healthy baked chicken parmesan so much we ended up eating this lighter healthier version two nights in a row.
- 4 (4 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even ½-inch thickness
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain Panko bread crumbs
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 basil leaves
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and then brush both sides of them with the mayonnaise.
- Place the crumbs in a large zipper-close plastic bag. Add the chicken breasts, one at a time, and shake to coat evenly with the crumbs.
- Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Top each piece of chicken with the tomato slices and then drizzle evenly with the oil.
- Top each tomato slice with the basil and then sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly and beginning to turn lightly golden, 12 to 18 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve
Source: Slightly adapted from Simply Delicious : 245 No-Fuss Recipes–All 8 POINTS or LessLinks to More Lightened-Up Baked Chicken Recipes:
- Baked Chicken Parmesan – a lighter take on the classic (SkinnyTaste)
- Crusted Honey Mustard Chicken – dipped in honey mustard dressing, coated with cornflake crumbs and baked (Weight Watchers)
- Skinny Maple Glazed Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (Simple Nourished Living)