I've got a new favorite Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker chicken recipe to share today.
This slow cooker chicken marbella takes one of my favorite recipes from the popular Silver Palate Cookbook that I've been making for years and streamlines it for the crock pot. And it's a winner!
Chicken slow cooked in a sauce of broth, vinegar, brown sugar, capers, olives, prunes, garlic and oregano until fall apart tender.
Don't be put off by what might appear to be a strange list of ingredients. It's a fabulous combination of sweet, salty and tangy flavors that works, and is much easier and more streamlined than the original, but just as delicious.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Chicken Marbella?
According to my calculations, each serving has 210 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
The original Chicken Marbella recipe calls for bone-in chicken pieces with skin that are marinated overnight.
I used boneless skinless chicken thighs, one of my favorite cuts of poultry for the slow cooker, in this variation of the classic.
Speaking of classics, if you're a fan of slow cooker adaptations of traditional classic recipes, you might want to check out this Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala, a very popular recipe here on Simple Nourished Living.
Skinless drumsticks would also work.
To keep the points low, I substituted chicken broth for wine and cut back a bit on the brown sugar.
If you like your chicken saucy and are not concerned about calories, you might want to consider doubling the sauce ingredients because it really is that delicious.
When you are a family of two leftovers are part of life, but this recipe is so good we've been happily enjoying them all week!
If you're not fan of eating the same thing several times in a week, you can always portion out and package up the extras for the freezer. Enjoy!
If you like like this easy, healthy recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Marbella, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken, 4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Goddess Chicken, Slow Cooker Chicken with Beer & Herbes de Provence, Crock Pot Caribbean Jerk Chicken and Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
If you've made this low carb Chicken Marbella, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Chicken Marbella Recipe
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ cup pitted prunes
- ¼ cup pitted green olives (I used pimento-stuffed manzanilla olives)
- 8 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2-½ pounds)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart.
- In the slow cooker, whisk together the chicken broth, brown sugar, oregano, 3 tablespoons of the vinegar and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic, capers, prunes and olives and stir well to combine.
- Add the chicken, turning to coat it in the sauce and then snuggling it in among the olives and prunes.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, or until the meat is tender and cooked through.
- Gently stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar and parsley before serving.
Recipe source: Silver Palate Cookbook by Sheila Lukins and Julie Rosso
Watch this video to see how to make "The Silver Palate Cookbook 's" Chicken Marbella in the oven:
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Lightened Up Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes from Favorite Weight Watchers Friendly Recipe Sites:
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken & Olive Tagine (SkinnyTaste)
- Hawaiian Slow Cooker Chicken (HungryGirl)
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken (SlenderKitchen)
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken with Herbs & Caramelized Onions (TheYummyLife)
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore (SkinnyTaste)
- Slow Cooker Tomato Balsamic Chicken (SlenderKitchen)
- Slow Cooker Greek Chicken with Feta & Tomatoes (Simple Nourished Living)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!