WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Thighs
(239 calories | 8 8 8 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
These slow cooker apricot chicken thighs were a very pleasant surprise.
I’ve seen the recipe in various cookbooks and online for years, but was never willing to try it.
The ingredients – apricot preserves, Catalina dressing and dry onion soup mix – just seemed kinda weird to me.
Late last week I decided to take a leap of faith and give it a try.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
I modified a few things to make this version of slow cooker apricot chicken thighs more Weight Watchers friendly.
And I cut way back on the sauce ingredients which still provided more than enough for six chicken thighs.
And I added a little tapioca, my secret slow cooker sauce thickening ingredient.
Peter arrived just as I was turning on the crock pot. He made a funny face when I told him what I was cooking. But, by the time he left, he commented that it smelled pretty darn good.
And I asked Rod if I could quote him here, when he said they were “really, really, really good!”
Needless to say, I will definitely make these slow cooker apricot chicken thighs again.
The recipe specifies 5-ounce boneless skinless chicken thighs. I’ve noticed many that I’ve been buying recently are much larger—up to 8 ounces—which may take a little longer to cook. If this is a concern, I’d suggest cutting them in half.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 239 calories and:
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
8 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Thighs Recipe Variations and Substitutions:
- If you don’t have apricot preserves, peach, pineapple or orange marmalade should work.
- If you don’t have Catalina dressing, substitute any spicy tangy dressing of your choice.
- If you don’t have tapioca, you can thicken your sauce at the end by combining 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water, stirring it into the sauce and letting it cook on High for 10 to 15 minutes until thickened.
- If you don’t have chicken thighs, you can use chicken breasts, but be sure to check them at 4 hours so they don’t get dried out.
- If you don’t have dry onion soup mix, use 1 tablespoons dried onion flakes and 1 teaspoon garlic salt instead.
If you’ve made this low fat Crock Pot Apricot Chicken, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup fat free Catalina dressing (the spicy orange kind)
- 1/2 cup Apricot fruit spread
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1/2 package dry onion soup mix (1-1/2 tablespoons)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2- to 3-Quart.
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Season your chicken thighs with salt and pepper, if desired, then place them in the slow cooker.
- Mix together the dressing, fruit spread, tapioca and dry onion soup mix until well blended. Pour it over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, or until the chicken thighs are cooked and tender when pierced with a fork.
- If you don't have apricot preserves, peach, pineapple or orange marmalade should work.
- If you don't have Catalina dressing, substitute any spicy tangy dressing of your choice.
- If you don't have tapioca, you can thicken your sauce at the end by combining 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water, stirring it into the sauce and letting it cook on High for 10 to 15 minutes until thickened.
- If you don't have chicken thighs, you can use chicken breasts, but be sure to check them at 4 hours so they don't get dried out.
- If you don't have dry onion soup mix, use 1 tablespoons dried onion flakes and 1 teaspoon garlic salt instead.
Source: adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes by Phyllis Good
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this recipe for slow cooker apricot chicken thighs, you might also like:
- Skinny Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
- Skinny Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken
- CrockPot Artichoke Chicken
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!