Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Thighs
These slow cooker apricot chicken thighs were a very pleasant surprise.
I’ve seen the recipe in various cookbooks and online for years, but was never willing to try it.
The ingredients – apricot preserves, Catalina dressing and dry onion soup mix – just seemed kinda weird to me.
Late last week I decided to take a leap of faith and give it a try.
I modified a few things to make this version of slow cooker apricot chicken thighs more Weight Watchers friendly.
And I cut way back on the sauce ingredients which still provided more than enough for six chicken thighs.
And I added a little tapioca, my secret slow cooker sauce thickening ingredient.
Peter arrived just as I was turning on the crock pot. He made a funny face when I told him what I was cooking. But, by the time he left, he commented that it smelled pretty darn good.
And I asked Rod if I could quote him here, when he said they were “really, really, really good!”
Needless to say, I will definitely make these slow cooker apricot chicken thighs again.
The recipe specifies 5 ounce boneless skinless chicken thighs. I’ve noticed many that I’ve been buying recently are much larger – up to 8 ounces – which may take a little longer to cook. If this is a concern, I’d suggest cutting them in half.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 239 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Watch this short video to learn a little more about Weight Watchers Freestyle:
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Thighs Recipe Variations and Substitutions:
- If you don’t have apricot preserves, peach, pineapple or orange marmalade should work.
- If you don’t have Catalina dressing, substitute any spicy tangy dressing of your choice.
- If you don’t have tapioca, you can thicken your sauce at the end by combining 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water, stirring it into the sauce and letting it cook on High for 10 to 15 minutes until thickened.
- If you don’t have chicken thighs, you can use chicken breasts, but be sure to check them at 4 hours so they don’t get dried out.
- If you don’t have dry onion soup mix, use 1 tablespoons dried onion flakes and 1 teaspoon garlic salt instead.
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup fat free Catalina dressing (the spicy orange kind)
- 1/2 cup Apricot fruit spread
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1/2 package dry onion soup mix (1-1/2 tablespoons)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2 to 3-Quart.
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Season your chicken thighs with salt and pepper, if desired, then place them in the slow cooker.
- Mix together the dressing, fruit spread, tapioca and dry onion soup mix until well blended. Pour it over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, or until the chicken thighs are cooked and tender when pierced with a fork.
Source: adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this recipe for slow cooker apricot chicken thighs you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!