WW Recipe of the Day: Pickle Juice Crispy Chicken Tenders
(217 calories | 4 2 2 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I'm all about eating healthier, but I'm also a firm believer in not wasting precious calories on food you don't like. Usually there is a way to take your favorite dish and lighten it up, without losing all the flavors and textures you love.
I'm a fan of "before" and "afters" from everything to house remodels, to makeovers, haircuts, weight loss, or even recipes. Nothing happens overnight and without work, but look at the amazing transformation in the end.
At Simple Nourished Living, Martha has become a master at doing just that. Some of my favorite posts are when she takes recipes from others and creates a Weight Watcher friendly version. The fat and calories have been reduced, but the same great flavors remain.
I think this recipe is along those lines. The pickle juice makes a perfect low-fat marinade for chicken. This lighter version lets me enjoy all the crispy crunchy goodness without any guilt.
When I looked out my window and saw this balloon, I knew I was on the right track!
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Recipe for Crispy Pickle Juice Chicken Tenders?
According to my calculations, each serving has 217 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Pickle Juice Crispy Chicken Tenders
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients
Step 2: Place the chicken tenderloins in a gallon freezer bag and add the pickle juice. Marinate 8 hours, or overnight. (I made up some extra tenders and tossed them in the freezer.)
Step 3: When you're ready to bake the chicken tenders, preheat the oven to 425F degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
Step 4: Drain the chicken and pat dry.
Step 5: Add the egg and water to a bowl and whisk to combine.
Step 6: In a second bowl, add the breadcrumbs (I used almond flour), crushed cereal (I used purple corn flakes) and seasoning. Stir to combine.
Step 7: Dip the chicken in the egg wash first and shake off any excess. Then add the chicken to the cereal mixture and pat to coat.
Step 8: Place coated tenders on prepared baking sheet . Spray lightly with cooking spray and bake for 8 minutes. Remove the pan and turn the chicken over, continue to bake for 7-10 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked and golden.
Step 9: Air Fryer Cooking Instructions - preheat air fryer to 400F degrees. Add coated chicken tenders to air fryer basket and cook for 5-6 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until done.
Crispy Pickle Juice Chicken Breast Tenders Recipe Notes
- Use gluten-free breadcrumbs, if desired.
- Substitute nut flour in place of breadcrumbs to keep the recipe gluten-free.
- Add a couple dashes of hot sauce to the beaten egg if you like it spicy.
- Buy fresh chicken in bulk, then freeze portions in the pickle juice. Just thaw and cook.
Crispy Chicken Tender Serving Suggestions
- Serve tenders with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Makes a nice topping to just about any salad.
- KFC favorite, serve with mashed potatoes and corn.
- Enjoy chicken tenders alongside baked beans and your favorite slaw.
- Add to a biscuit for a southern style breakfast sandwich.
Ways to Use Chicken Tender Leftovers
- Enjoy them cold.
- Reheat in the oven, chop them up and add to a wrap.
- Toss them in your favorite casserole.
- Use as topping for a BBQ chicken pizza.
- Add to a buffalo chicken dip.
- Make chicken nachos or a quesadilla.
- Add to a broccoli and cheese stuffed baked potato.
If you've made these oven-baked or air fried Crispy Chicken Tenders, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Pickle Juice Chicken Tenders
- 1-¼ pounds chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup cornflakes, crushed
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Put chicken tenderloins in a gallon freezer bag. Add the pickle juice. Marinate 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425F degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Alternatively, preheat air fryer to 400F degrees.
- Drain the chicken and pat dry.
- Add egg and water to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add bread crumbs, crushed cereal (I used purple cornflakes) and seasoning to a second bowl.
- Dip the tenderloins in the egg wash and shake off any excess.
- Then add the chicken to the crumb mixture and pat to coat.
Oven Baking Insctuctions:
- Place coated chicken tenders on prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan and turn the chicken tenders. Continue baking for 7-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Air Fryer Instructions:
- Add coated tenderloins to preheated air fryer and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Turn the chicken and cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until done.
Recipe source: Pickle-Brined Baked Chicken Tenders from SkinnyTaste
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this recipe for Pickle Juice Chicken Tenders, you might also like
- Low-Fat Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Grilled Spicy Chicken Thighs
- Crock Pot Caribbean Jerk Chicken
- Easy Chicken Satay
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!