WW Recipe of the Day: Easy Healthy Chicken Satay for Two
Each country in Asia has a form of Satay and I'm hard pressed to recommend one over the other as they are ALL extremely delicious.
Some recipes do use a daunting amount of spices and oil which is fine if you're making them all the time and have a big stash of Asian spices. For those of you looking for an occasional yummy sate, try this simplified, almost guilt-free version.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Easy Chicken Satay?
According to my calculations, each serving has 146 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you're using bamboo skewers, it's good idea to soak them in water for about 10 minutes so you can avoid burning the sticks on the barbecue.
An indoor grill will also work as will baking the sates in a 400F degree oven until firm and glazed. The most flavor and authentic taste is to use an outside electric or wood-fired BBQ.
Traditionally, sates are served with peanut sauce. Many commercial varieties are available including the Thai Kitchen brand. For 2 people, a scant ¼ cup should do.
Quick Peanut Sauce Recipe:
If you're feeling ambitious then process together ¼ cup peanut butter, 1 garlic clove, 2 teaspoons reduced salt soy sauce, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger, 1 tablespoon orange juice, 2 tablespoons water and ½ teaspoon hot sauce.
This quick version is quite tasty and has a lot less sodium than commercial varieties if you're watching that part of your diet.
Per tablespoon, you'll add 98 calories, 2.9 fat grams, 3.8 g carbs, .1 g fiber and 3.4 g protein.
Serve these skewers with peanut sauce or if you'd like just the plain satays, serve simple rice and perhaps wok-steamed vegetables.
Ways to Use Leftovers
If there is an extra skewer left, remove it from the skewer, place in a plastic bag and refrigerate. Those remaining bites can be tossed in a salad or used as a spicy protein snack.
If you've made this Chicken Sate, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Easy Chicken Satay
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in ¾-inch cubes
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 large shallot
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- Place the chicken in a medium sized bowl.
- Chop the garlic and shallot together either in a food processor or by hand.
- Add garlic and shallot to the chicken along with the lemon zest, red pepper flakes, chili powder and curry powder.
- Stir in the orange juice and mix the meat well to fully coat with spices and orange juice.
- Let chicken marinate for 30 minutes or up to 1 day, covered in the refrigerator.
- When you're ready to cook, divide and thread the chicken onto the 4 skewers.
- Grill the skewers over a hot grill, turning as they brown to cook all sides. Or An indoor grill will also work as will baking the sates in a 400 degree oven until firm and glazed.
- Sates are done when the chicken is firm and thoroughly cooked through.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Easy Chicken Sate, you might also like
- Chicken Satay Pasta Salad
- Easy Asian Chicken Salad
- Slow Cooker Five Spice Chicken
- Grilled Ginger Lime Chicken
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!