This creamy and comforting Chicken Apple Stuffing Casserole is another easy and delicious family-favorite recipe that starts with shredded cooked chicken breast, or leftover rotisserie chicken and only requires a handful of additional ingredients. Low in fat and calories, it mixes together in minutes and needs about 30 minutes to bake.
While the casserole bakes, you have plenty of time to toss together a simple salad making mealtime a snap.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Stuffing Casserole?
According to my calculations, each serving has about 290 calories.
To see your WW Points for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
How to Make Chicken and Apple Stuffing Casserole, Step-by-Step
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients: light butter, chicken/turkey stuffing mix, apple, raisins, French-style green beans, leftover cooked chicken breast, chicken gravy and water chestnuts.
Step 2: Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
Step 3: In a medium saucepan, bring 1-½ cups water to a boil. Add the butter and give time to melt. Remove from heat and stir in the stuffing mix, chopped apple and raisins. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl (affiliate link) stir together the green beans, chicken, gravy and water chestnuts. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and smooth into an even layer.
Step 5: Spoon stuffing mixture evenly over the top.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Step 6: Remove foil and continue baking about 10 more minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and casserole begins to bubble.
Step 7: Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Step 8: Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This yummy casserole calls for raisins, but I sometimes like to substitute dried cranberries, or Craisins, instead—especially in the fall and during the holiday season.
I also replaced regular Stove Top Chicken Stuffing Mix with the low sodium version which has 25% less sodium.
To make this ahead, prepare the chicken and green bean mixture and store in a covered bowl in the refrigerator. When you are ready to bake the casserole, remove the chicken and green mixture from the fridge and add to a lightly greased baking dish. Prepare the stuffing mix topping and layer on top of the chicken mixture and then cover and bake as directed.
Not everyone is a fan of water chestnuts, but we happen to really like them. If you prefer, you can try substituting and equal amount of bamboo shoots, celery or pecans to maintain a similarly crunchy texture. Be sure to adjust your WW Points accordingly when making any ingredient substitutions.
Enjoy this WW friendly casserole with a Simple Shredded Romaine and Dill Salad, Mixed Greens with Goat Cheese + Dates, Pear and Blue Cheese Salad, Healthy Wedge Salad, or Skinny Broccoli Salad.
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you've made this Chicken Stuffing Casserole with Apple and Raisins, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Chicken and Apple Stuffing Casserole
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 1 box (6 ounces) chicken stuffing mix
- ½ cup finely chopped apple
- ¼ cup raisins, chopped
- 4 cups frozen French-style green beans, thawed, drained and patted dry
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 jar (12 ounces) chicken gravy
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1-½ cups water to a boil. Add the butter and give time to melt. Remove from heat and stir in the stuffing mix, chopped apple and raisins. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl stir together the green beans, chicken, gravy and water chestnuts. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and smooth into an even layer.
- Spoon stuffing mixture evenly over the top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking about 10 more minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and casserole begins to bubble.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Recipe source: Hungry Girl Magazine (affiliate link), Fall 2021
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Lighter Chicken Stuffing Casserole, you might also like:
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Skinny Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole Made Lighter
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Leave a Reply