Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Pear Blue Cheese Salad
Sliced autumn pears and mesclun greens tossed with pear Dijon dressing topped with crunchy toasted walnuts and crumbled gorgonzola cheese.
All I can say is YUM!
I love a salad that’s as great tasting as it is good-for-you, and this simple classic combination really delivers.
It’s easy, healthy and delicious.
At this time of year, my mind typically goes straight to apples. But thanks to my participation with a group of bloggers working its way through Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients (by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine), I was reminded pear season and apple season coincide, so, now is a perfect time to enjoy them too.
Skinny on Pear Blue Cheese Salad
Soft and sweet, pears are low in calories and packed with nutrients, fiber and antioxidants, making them a healthy and delicious addition to your diet.
I used a recipe for mesclun with pears and blue cheese from my Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook as the starting point for this pear blue cheese salad, making a few modifications based on what was available (which I’ve noted in the recipe) with great results.
According to my calculations, each serving of salad has 152 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Pear + Blue Cheese Salad Recipe Variations:
no pears – substitute thinly sliced apples
no blue cheese – use feta or another strongly flavored cheese instead
no walnuts – pecans or slivered almonds would work
easier – use you favorite bottled light vinaigrette. Newman’s Own Light Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette would be nice.
If you like this easy pear and blue cheese salad, be sure to check out some of my other Weight Watchers friendly salad recipes including Simple Arugula Salad with Sunflower Seeds & Parmesan, Skinny Broccoli Salad, Healthy Kale Salad with Apples & Dates, Camilla’s Easy Broccoli Slaw with Cranberries and Easy Mixed Green Salad with Goat Cheese & Dates
If you’ve made this Pear & Blue Cheese Salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Pear & Blue Cheese Salad Recipe
- 10 cups mesclun (mixed baby greens) or torn romaine
- 3 medium red and/or green pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pear nectar (I used pureed pear baby food instead)
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or salad oil (I used olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- 1/2 cup broken walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (I used gorgonzola)
- In a large salad bowl place add the mesclun and pear slices and toss them gently to combine.
- To make the dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the pear nectar, oil, vinegar, mustard, ginger, and pepper. Taste the dressing and if it seems too tart, add the optional honey.
- Cover and shake well. Drizzle over the salad and toss lightly to coat.
- Divide the salad evenly among 8 salad plates. Sprinkle each serving with the toasted walnuts and crumbled blue cheese.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Be sure to check out what these other participating bloggers have cooked up with pears:
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
More Weight Watcher’s Friendly Pear Recipes
- Avocado Pear Smoothie (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Glazed Pear Muffins (Weight Watchers)
- Crockpot Apple & Pear Fruit Compote (EverydayMaven)
- Healthy Roasted Pears Snack (SnackGirl)
- Breakfast Bulgur with Pears (Weight Watchers)
- Cranberry Pear Sauce (SkinnyTaste)
- Prosciutto and Pear Stuffing (Laaloosh)
- Autumn Salad with Pears & Gorgonzola (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!