Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Pear Blue Cheese Salad
Sliced autumn pears and mesclun greens tossed with pear Dijon dressing topped with crunchy toasted walnuts and crumbled gorgonzola cheese. All I can say is YUM! I love a salad that’s as great tasting as it is good-for-you and this simple classic combination really delivers. It’s easy, healthy and delicious.
At this time of year, my mind typically goes straight to apples. But thanks to my participation with a group of bloggers working its way through Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients (by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine) I was reminded pear season and apple season coincide, so, now is a perfect time to enjoy them too.
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
Skinny on Pear Blue Cheese Salad
Soft and sweet, pears are low in calories and packed with nutrients, fiber and antioxidants, making them a healthy and delicious addition to your diet.
I used a recipe for mesclun with pears and blue cheese from my Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook as the starting point for this pear blue cheese salad, making a few modifications based on what was available (which I’ve noted in the recipe) with great results.
According to my calculations each serving has 152 calories and *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus. Enjoy!
no pears – substitute thinly sliced apples
no blue cheese – use feta or another strongly flavored cheese instead
no walnuts – pecans or slivered almonds would work
easier – use you favorite bottled light vinaigrette. Newman’s Own Light Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette would be nice.
- 10 cups mesclun (mixed baby greens) or torn romaine
- 3 medium red and/or green pears, cored and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pear nectar (I used baby pureed pear baby food instead)
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or salad oil (I used olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- ½ cup broken walnuts, toasted
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese (I used gorgonzola)
- In a large salad bowl place add the mesclun and pear slices and toss them gently to combine.
- To make the dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the pear nectar, oil, vinegar, mustard, ginger, and pepper. Taste the dressing and if it seems to tart, add the optional honey.
- Cover and shake well. Drizzle over the salad and toss lightly to coat.
- Divide the salad evenly among 8 salad plates. Sprinkle each serving with the toasted walnuts and crumbled blue cheese.
To fancy it up, use candied nuts instead of plain toasted walnuts.
Be sure to check out what these other participating bloggers have cooked up with pears. (If you are interested in joining us, contact Mireya at My Healthy Eating Habits. We’d love to have you join us.)
- Alyce – More Time at the Table
- Ansh – Spice Roots
- Jeanette – Jeanette’s Healthy Living
- Mireya – My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah – Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Chaya – My Sweet & Savory
- Minnie – The Lady 8 Home
More Weight Watcher’s Friendly Pear Recipes
Avocado Pear Smoothie
Crockpot Apple & Pear Fruit Compote (Everyday Maven)
Healthy Roasted Pears Snack (Snack Girl)
Breakfast Bulgur with Pears (Weight Watchers)
Glazed Pear Muffins (Weight Watchers)
Cranberry Pear Sauce (SkinnyTaste)
Prosciutto and Pear Stuffing (Laaloosh)
Autumn Salad with Pears & Gorgonzola (SkinnyTaste)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.