This is the first recipe I’ve tried from my new Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook.
I gotta say, it’s a grand slam outta the park winner.
Easy. Healthy. Delectable.
The recipe name – Chicken Thighs Osso Buco – is a little misleading since according to Wikipedia, Osso Buco is Italian for “bone with a hole” (osso bone, buco hole) and refers to the marrow hole at the center of a cross-cut veal shank.
Since there was neither a bone nor a hole to be found in the boneless skinless chicken thighs I used to prepare this dish, I think it’s safe to assume that “osso buco” is referring to the preparation style – braised with tomatoes, carrots, celery and onions and topped with chopped a combination of garlic, parsley and lemon zest, called Gremolata.
You simply prepare the vegetables, stir them together in the slow cooker and snuggle the chicken down in the mixture. In a few hours your dinner is ready and waiting!
I served these luscious slow cooker osso buco chicken thighs with mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli and cauliflower. This recipe is definitely going in my “Make Again” file.
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (5 ounces each)
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, chicken broth, carrot, celery, onion, parsley, 1 teaspoon garlic, salt and pepper.
- Snuggle the chicken thighs into the vegetable mixture.
- Cover and cook on low until the chicken and vegetables are tender, about 4 hours.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken thighs to a serving dish. Discard the parsley sprigs.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining teaspoon of garlic, lemon zest and chopped parsley.
- Stir half the parsley mixture into the vegetables.
- Top the chicken with the vegetables and remaining parsley mixture and serve.
Links to Other Blogs & Websites:
Southern Slow Cooker Chicken & Grits – a delicious soupy combination of grits, chicken and vegetables for the slow cooker with 7 WW PointsPlus value from Weight Watchers
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Bouillabaisse Style – healthy and delicious with just 4 WW PointsPlus Value from Good Housekeeping
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs & Sausage – hearty and delicious with just 7 WW PointsPlus Value from Taste of Home
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Stew – loaded with delectable Mediterranean flavor with only 5 WW PointsPlus Value from LaaLoosh
Crock Pot Chicken a al Criolla – boneless skinless chicken thighs stewed with bell peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, olives, cilantro and spices and served over rice with 9 WW PointsPlus from SkinnyTaste