Lean stewing beef and mushrooms cooked in slow cooker until tender. This lightened up easy slow cooker beef and mushrooms is a great dinner for the meat lovers in your home.
It’s easy enough for a weeknight and tasty enough for company with just 5 WW PointsPlus per serving.
I’m not a huge steak fan, but I love hearty beef vegetable soups, stews and braised dishes, like this slow cooker beef and mushrooms. And a simple meat and potatoes meal always pleases my mid-western raised husband.
Skinny on Lightened Up Easy Slow Cooker Beer and Mushrooms
This recipe is loosely adapted from one of my most recent cookbook purchases, Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: 600 Healthy Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker, by Phyllis Pellman Good.
I made several changes, including substituting fresh mushrooms for jarred, but kept the fat-free cream of mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix.
The recipe instructs you to just combine everything together in the slow cooker and let it cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, which would be fine when you are really pressed for time.
But, I took a few extra minutes to season the beef with salt and pepper and then brown it in a skillet and also cooked the mushrooms, in two batches, before tossing everything into the cooker.
Serve over noodles, rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. And don’t forget a green vegetable like broccoli or green beans to accompany your slow cooker beef and mushrooms 🙂
This lightened up slow cooker beef and mushrooms is simple home cooking that’s satisfying and just plain good.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef, cubed
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) fat-free, low sodium cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and then brown it in the skillet, cooking it in 2 to 3 batches so you don't crowd the pan. (Overcrowding the pan will cause the beef to steam instead of brown.)
- Place the beef in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Brown the mushrooms, in the same skillet, again cooking them in 2 batches so they aren't crowded in the pan, and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add the red wine to the skillet and stir up any browned bits. Stir in the mushroom soup and onion soup mix until the mixture is blended, and then add to the slow cooker.
- Give everything a stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until fork-tender.
If time is short, skip the browning and just combine everything in the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for the recommended time.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this Easy Slow Cooker Beef and Mushrooms Recipe, You Might Also Like:
Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Italian Beef and Lentil Stew
Slow Cooker Vegetable, Beef, Mushroom Barley Soup
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
Lightened Up Slow Cooker Coconut Beef
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.