WW Recipe of the Day: Lightened Up Slow Cooker Coconut Beef
Lean cubes of beef stirred together with red curry paste, garlic, ginger, and light coconut milk in the slow cooker and simmered until tender.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Coconut Beef
This lightened-up coconut beef recipe caught by eye the minute I ran across it in a recent issue of Woman's Day. It seemed so quick and easy and sounded like it would by yummy.
But, when I checked out the recipe online, the reviews expressed disappointment with its lack of flavor.
I figured I could fix that by increasing the amounts of garlic, ginger, and lime juice and adding a couple of teaspoons of my Pampered Chef Thai Curry Rub seasoning for an extra boost of flavor. These adjustments did the trick for us.
I also substituted green beans for the snap peas, and yellow onion for red, since that's what was on hand.
Was it the best slow cooker beef I've ever tasted? No. But, considering how easy it was to throw together, served over rice, instead of the suggested noodles, it was a quick and easy weeknight supper we all enjoyed. (The leftovers got eaten too 🙂 )
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Low Carb Coconut Beef?
According to my calculations, each serving (without rice) has about 220 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Low Carb Coconut Beef, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Lightened Up Slow Cooker Coconut Beef Recipe
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons red curry paste, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Kosher salt
- 1-2 teaspoons Thai red curry seasoning rub, to taste
- 1-½ pounds extra lean stew beef, cut into 1-½-inch pieces
- 3 ounces snap peas, sliced crosswise
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- ½ cup fresh cilantro or basil leaves
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- Rice or noodles for serving (optional)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart.
- In a slow cooker, whisk together the coconut milk, curry paste, garlic, ginger and ¼ teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle the beef with the Thai red curry seasoning rub and then add it to the slow cooker, stirring to coat the meat with the coconut milk mixture.
- Cook covered, until the meat is tender and easily pulls apart, 6 to 7 hours on LOW, or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH.
- 30 minutes before serving, cook the rice or noodles according to package directions.
- Gently stir the peas, onion and lime juice into the beef mixture and cook until heated 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the beef mixture over the rice or noodles, if desired.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, if using, and serve with lime wedges if desired.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this lightened up coconut beef, you might also like:
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Beef & Mushrooms (Simple Nourished Living)
- Skinny Slow Cooker Italian Style Pot Roast (Simple Nourished Living)
- Barbacoa Beef Recipe - made in a pressure cooker, but easily adapted for the slow cooker (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!