Here’s a hearty beef and vegetable soup that couldn’t be easier. You simply stir all the ingredients together in the slow cooker and then let it simmer away unattended. In several hours you’re rewarded with a big batch of satisfying soup that will fill you up with minimal fat and calories.
I knew as soon as I saw the recipe while skimming my Weight Watchers Momentum Slow Cook It: 165 All-New Slow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook, it would be good and ended up making just a a few changes based on what I had available.
This tasty vegetable beef soup is perfect for a super easy weeknight supper. It’s chock full of healthy ingredients including carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, turnips and peas. And to keep it skinny you use top round steak, trimmed and cut into cubes, but any extra lean stew beef would work.
With only 213 calories and 5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus in a 2 cup serving, this easy vegetable soup is a real winner for anyone wanting to lose weight and/or eat healthy.
- 1 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound top found stead, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large (1/2-pound) baking potato, peeled and diced
- 2 turnips, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley, optional
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Whisk together the broth, water, tomato paste, thyme and salt in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker until smooth and well combined.
- Stir in the cubes of beef, carrots, celery, onion, potato and turnips.
- Cover and cook until the beef and vegetables are fork tender, 4-6 hours on high or 8-12 hours on low.
- At the end of cooking stir in the peas. Cover and cook until the peas are heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.