Here’s an easy, healthy and delicious slow cooker Mexican meatball soup recipe I think you are gonna want to try.
As I continue exploring ways to simplify life in the kitchen and make getting dinner on the table quick and easy, my relationship with the Crockpot deepens.
Soon my Slow Cooker may take up permanent residence on the counter! Crockpot cooking makes getting dinner on the table a breeze.
By investing a few minutes in the morning combining ingredients in the slow cooker, I’m able to focus on the day without stressing about “what’s for dinner?” because a satisfying homemade dish, like this slow cooker soup, will be ready and waiting for us.
And since we are enjoying soup for dinner more often these days, the crockpot is the perfect vessel for allowing slow cooker soups, like this slow cooker Mexican Meatball soup, to simmer away for hours unattended.
My most recent crockpot soup is an adaptation of Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup with Rice from the Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Fast-Fix Family Favorites cookbook.
Since I am always looking for ways to increase our vegetable intake, I added two 10 ounce bags of frozen southwestern mixed vegetables (a blend of chopped bell peppers, onion, zucchini, baby carrots, and corn) to my version of Mexican Meatball Soup, adding a healthy dose of Weight Watchers power foods for minimal PointsPlus.
If you prefer to use fresh vegetables, go for it. Any combination of peppers, zucchini, carrots, green beans, and corn would work well. The nice thing about making soup like this slow cooker meatball soup, is its adaptability.
You can adjust the vegetables and seasonings to suit your tastes. I also opted for turkey meatballs instead of beef in this tasty slow cooker Mexican Meatball Soup recipe, since they’re lower in fat, calories and PointsPlus.
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound frozen turkey meatballs
- 2 (10 ounces) frozen mixed Mexican style vegetables (optional)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup converted rice
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a 4 to 5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
- Serving Suggestions: Lots of yummy things would go well with this slow cooker mexican meatball soup including corn muffins, tortillas, cheese quesadillas, and simple green salad. I served it with warm flour tortillas and a salad of chopped greens, chopped scallions, chopped avocado, and pumpkin seeds dressed with olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, salt and pepper.
Source: adapted from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Fast-Fix Family FavoritesYou Might Need:
Cuisinart 4-qt. Programmable Slow Cooker
If you liked this slow cooker Mexican meatball soup recipe, here are a few more favorite Weight Watcher friendly soups for you:
If this is your first time visiting Simple Nourished Living – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join me on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest or sign up to have my recipes and posts delivered by email. I’m always sharing easy, practical ideas for living happy, healthy and slim.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.