Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Grilled Baby Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce
Weight Watcher's summer theme is to try something new.
If you've never tried eggplant I'm here cheer you on.
You might even discover you like it.
This easy recipe for grilled baby eggplant with yogurt sauce, which appeared in this week's WW Weekly, would be a great place to start.
Image Source: Photo of Weight Watchers Weekly
It's meaty texture makes eggplant a tasty substitute for meat, too.
Bitter when raw, it develops a complex savory flavor when cooked.
The large dark purple pear shaped (globe) eggplant is the most common variety.
For this recipe, you'll want to use the smaller version of the larger purple skinned eggplant, which is often called Italian or baby eggplant. They have a somewhat more intense flavor and the flesh is much more tender.
Japanese or Asian eggplant, which are long and slender with thinner skin and sweeter flesh, would also work well.
This video shows the different types of eggplant:
While I've had all kinds of grilled vegetables including grilled eggplant many times, I've never thought to combine them with yogurt sauce.
I plan on sampling it soon, as I continue to challenge myself to try new foods and recipes.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Grilled Baby Eggplant?
According to my calculations, each serving has about 42 calories and:
0 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
different cooking methods - instead of grilling you could bake or broil until fork tender.
different vegetables - if eggplant is not your thing, zucchini or red bell peppers would work.
different sauces - most any Asian, Italian, or Middle-Eastern inspired sauce would work as a topping.
Watch Diana as she demonstrates how to make roasted Japanese eggplant:
If you like this recipe for grilled baby eggplant, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Easy Ratatouille, Baked Eggplant Parmesan Melts, Roasted Eggplant Spread, Slow Cooker Stuffed Eggplant and Slow Cooker Ratatouille.
Weight Watchers Grilled Baby Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce Recipe
- ¾ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic, very finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon paprika, regular or smoked variety, plus extra for garnish
- 1-¼ pounds uncooked eggplant, about 3 baby or Asian eggplants
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, water, ¼ teaspoon salt, cumin, garlic and paprika until well blended. Set sauce aside for at least 10 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Preheat an outdoor grill, or stove-top grill pan, to medium-high.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices. Coat each slice with cooking spray and sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- Grill the eggplant until lightly charred and tender, turning as often as needed, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter or bowl. Spoon yogurt sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with mint and garnish with paprika.
- Alternatively you could broil or bake the eggplant until tender, turning about halfway through the cooking time. The cooking time will depend on how hot your oven/broiler is and how thick the eggplant slices are.
Source: Weight Watchers Weekly (June 10-16, 2016)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This is how easy it is to make mini eggplant pizzas:
More Weight Watchers Eggplant Recipes
I love eggplant in all it's forms - grilled, baked, roasted, or slow-cooked. Here are a few more favorites:
Grilled Eggplant & Zucchini Parmesan (Cookin'Canuck)
Roasted Eggplant Salad (LaaLoosh)
Grilled Italian Eggplant Melts (HungryGirl)
Eggplant Parmesan Casserole (EmilyBites)
Baba Ganoush (Eggplant Dip) (SlenderKitchen)
Roasted Eggplant with Tahini Sauce (LaaLoosh)
Skinny Mini Eggplant Parmesan Pizzas (SkinnyKitchen)
Baked Eggplant Sticks (SkinnyTaste)
Grilled Eggplant with Tomatoes & Feta (LaaLoosh)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!