Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Stovetop Ratatouille
I've got ratatouille on the brain.
Not Ratatouille (affiliate link), the movie (though it was delightful)!
Did you see it? If not here's the video trailer...
What I'm thinking about is ratatouille the southern French vegetable dish that originated in Provence, France.
I crave it each summer when all the vegetables required to make it - eggplant, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, and zucchini - are plentiful and full of flavor.
It's one of the most delicious ways I know to bump up my intake of 0 Points fresh vegetables. (Ratatouille is naturally low in calories since its mostly vegetables.)
Just this morning I was thinking about it, putting together the ingredient list in my head, as I was making my way over to More Time at the Table and discovered Alyce's post for her version of ratatouille.
How serendipitous is that?
The Skinny on Easy Weight Watchers Friendly Ratatouille Recipe
You can use ratatouille so many ways.
It's a sensational side dish for chicken or fish, a tasty topping for toasted bread, pasta or polenta, and a fabulous filling for omelets and crepes. Or try it as a base for poaching eggs.
There are lots of different ratatouille recipes, some are roasted, others are simmered on the stovetop or in the slow cooker - so feel free to make it whatever way suits you best. Many traditional ratatouille recipes are fussier than this one, suggesting that you cook each vegetable separately.
This is an easy version from one of my favorite cookbooks of the moment - 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness - that only uses 2 teaspoons of olive oil, so it's low-fat and extra Weight Watchers friendly.
How Many Calories & WW Points in this Easy Skillet Ratatouille?
According to my calculations, each serving has just 110 calories and:
1 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you liked this easy, healthy, delicious Weight Watchers friendly ratatouille recipe you might also like: Slow Cooker Summer Vegetable Soup, Slow Cooker Ratatouille, Healthy Zucchini, Tomato, Mushroom Skillet, Weight Watchers Grilled Baby Eggplant, Slow Cooker Stuffed eggplant, Baked Eggplant Parmesan Melts
If you've made this low fat Stovetop Ratatouille, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Easy Weight Watchers Friendly Ratatouille Recipe
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1-½ cups chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh basil, if desired
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Add the zucchini and eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, water and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve sprinkled with basil, if desired.
Source: 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness from Camilla Saulsbury
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here's video with another delicious version of ratatouille from a real French cook with a real French accent...
If you liked this post and recipe for easy, healthy ratatouille, you might also like:
- Oven-Roasted Ratatouille Recipe - perfect when you don't want to attend to the stovetop (Weight Watchers)
- The WW Friendly Vegetarian Recipes (Simple Nourished Living)
- 23 Ways to Get More Fruits and Vegetables in Your Life (Simple Nourished Living)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!