Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Toasted Coconut Banana Quinoa Breakfast Pudding
After several days indulging in a few too many sweet treats that included lemon coconut tea cake, chocolate egg nests, and Easter sugar cookies, my body is ready for a break from the sugar and a return to healthier, simpler fare.
The Skinny on Quinoa Breakfast Pudding with Banana & Coconut
A great place for me to focus getting back on track is with breakfast. A healthy breakfast helps set the momentum for a happy, healthy, balanced day.
So, I made a pot of this healthy toasted coconut banana quinoa breakfast pudding that I plan to eat all week. Appearing as a dessert recipe in 500 Best Quinoa Recipes: 100% Gluten-Free Super-Easy Superfood , by Camilla Saulsbury, this dish didn’t cut it as a “dessert” in my book. It tasted way too “healthy.”
Not wanting to waste perfectly good food, I decided it would be fine as a healthy breakfast.
A great source of fiber, protein and carbs, a bowl of this toasted coconut banana quinoa breakfast pudding topped with fruit should keep me satisfied until lunch.
I’ll keep things interesting by topping it with different fruits: sliced bananas, strawberries and maybe even chopped pineapple. A drizzle of honey and splash of coconut milk will work well too.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 248 calories, *7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *9 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Toast Coconut
To toast coconut preheat your oven to 300F degrees. Spread coconut out in a thin even layer on an ungreased baking sheet . Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant.
Immediately transfer to a plate to prevent it from burning and let it cool completely.
This brief video from Grandmother’s Kitchen shows how easy it is to toast shredded coconut in the oven.
If you’ve made this quinoa breakfast pudding, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Toasted Coconut Banana Quinoa Breakfast Pudding Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed the water.
- Meanwhile in a blender combine the coconut milk, bananas, honey, ginger and salt and puree until smooth.
- Stir the banana mixture into the quinoa and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer the quinoa mixture to a medium heatproof bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Serve at room temperature or cover and refrigerate until cold. Serve as a healthy breakfast pudding sprinkled with toasted coconut.
How to Toast Coconut:
- Preheat your oven to 300F degrees.
- Spread coconut out in a thin even layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant.
- Immediately transfer to a plate to prevent it from burning and let it cool completely.
Source: 500 Best Quinoa Recipes: 100% Gluten-Free Super-Easy Superfood by Camilla Saulsbury
More Weight Watchers Friendly Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Ideas
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!