I love quiche – but I don’t care much for the typical pastry crust that envelopes it. I recently came across this recipe for Spinach Feta Quiche with Quinoa Crust in the December 2014 issue of Cooking Light and instantly knew I wanted to try making it myself.
I can honestly say that I’ve never attempted to make any kind of crust before, but this simple 3-ingredient quinoa crust recipe seemed really straight-forward.
This recipe does take a little time since you have to bake the crust for about 20 minutes and cool it before you actually get around to baking the quiche. But IMHO it’s very much worth a little extra effort 🙂
The Skinny on Spinach Feta Quiche with Quinoa Crust
The quinoa crust – while packed with protein and fiber – adds a nice and unexpected “crunch” to this quiche. Each generous serving of this spinach feta quiche (1/4th) has about 282 calories and 7* Weight Watchers Points Plus and 7 SmartPoints.
Variations: You can substitute 1 to 1-1/2 cups of any cooked vegetable for the spinach. And your preferred cheese for the feta.
Spinach Feta Quiche with Quinoa Crust
- 2 cups cooked quinoa chilled
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 5 ounces baby spinach 1 bag
- 1/2 cup 1% low fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- To prepare the crust: in a medium mixing bowl stir together the quinoa, black pepper and egg. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray, then press mixture into bottom and up sides of pan. Bake for 20 minutes; remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- To prepare the filling: heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add oil and onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add spinach and saute for 3 more minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, salt, pepper, red pepper, eggs and egg whites.
- Place cooled spinach mixture into pre-baked crust and spread evenly.
- Pour egg mixture over spinach and then sprinkle with feta crumbles.
- Bake at 375F degrees for about 35 minutes, or until quiche is set.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
- Cut into 4 slices.
Recipe Source: Cooking Light, December 2014
*PointsPlus® for spinach feta quiche with quinoa crust calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers-Friendly Quiche Recipes You Might Like:
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!