I chose to make a quick and easy crustless spinach & feta quiche for this week’s 38 Power Foods Blog Group. Can you guess the Power Food ingredient? Yes, it’s spinach. (And no, that’s not ketchup on the plate. It’s ajvar, a chunky red pepper and eggplant spread popular in the Balkans that my sister introduced me to, and that I now can’t get enough of. I’m eating it with everything.)
I continue to have fun each week making and writing about a healthy ingredient from Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients, by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine and then checking out what my fellow bloggers – Alyce – More Time at the Table, Ansh – Spice Roots, Jeanette – Jeanette’s Healthy Living, Jill – Saucy Cooks, Mireya – My Healthy Eating Habits, Sarah – Everything in the Kitchen Sink, Casey – My Sweet & Savory, Bambi – Adobo Down Under have whipped up.
Skinny on Spinach and Feta Crustless Quiche
I came across the recipe for this easy spinach and feta crustless quiche in one of my favorite cookbooks of the moment, which I’ve mentioned several times lately, 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness, by the talented Camilla Saulsbury.
This quiche is much lighter and healthier than classic quiche because: 1) it’s crustless and 2) it’s made with nonfat cottage cheese.
You simply whirl the ingredient together in a blender , pour the mixture into a pie dish and bake, so it’s a great quick & easy weeknight supper solution. And the leftovers can be warmed up for a super quick breakfast or lunch.
According to my calculations each serving has just *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus (old plan) or *3 Freestyle SmartPoints
Health Benefits of Spinach
Spinach is nutritious and delicious. We eat a lot of it around here, which turns out to be a very good thing. Rich in vitamins and minerals, it is also concentrated in health-promoting phytonutrients such as carotenoids and flavonoids that provide powerful antioxidant protection which can help protect you from inflammatory problems, oxidative stress-related problems, cardiovascular problems, bone problems, and cancers!
Spinach and Feta Crustless Quiche
- 1 container 16 ounces nonfat cottage cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 package 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/3 cups finely chopped green onions
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese about 6 ounces
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Coat a 9-inch glass pie dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a blender combine cottage and eggs and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Add the spinach, green onions, feta cheese and black pepper and pulse several times, until the mixture is combined.
- Spread the cottage cheese mixture evenly into the prepared pan, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with wheat germ and bake until golden brown and set, 10 to 15 minutes more.
If you liked this spinach and feta crustless quiche:
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!