WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili Verde
(382 calories | 7 0 0 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I've always loved chili verde, so was happy to discover this lightened up version of the Mexican classic dish in The Skinnytaste Cookbook .
Rather than use my slow cooker, I decided to use my Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System to make this white bean chicken chili verde. This way, I could use the Ninja's cook top option to cook the onions, peppers, tomatillos, garlic and spices right in the crock and not worry about dirtying another dish on the stove top.
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Crock Pot Chicken Chili Verde?
According to my calculations each generous 1-½ cup serving of this chicken chili verde has approximately 382 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili Verde Recipe Notes
I think the Ninja may cook hotter than a traditional crock pot because my chicken breasts were thoroughly cooked after about 3 hours on LOW.
You'll definitely want to make this on a day when you can keep an eye on it, so you don't end up with overcooked chicken.
If using a Ninja, I would suggest checking your chicken after 3 hours just see if it's done or not.
So, I took the chicken out and shredded it, and then added the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker to mix back in with the rest of the ingredients.
At this point I switched it to BUFFET until dinner (if using a standard slow cooker, you can set it to WARM).
Tomatillos look like small green tomatoes. They have a outer, paper-like husk and may be referred to as Mexican Husk Tomatoes. They're usually eaten boiled, fried or steamed.
Cubanelle peppers are also known as Cuban peppers and will be a light yellowish-green color before ripening. After ripening, they turn bright red. Cubanelles are thinner and longer than bell peppers and usually more wrinkly too.
We both really, really liked this lighter version of chicken chili verde and can't wait to try it again tonight as leftovers - should be especially good then!
Make This White Bean Chicken Chili Verde Even Quicker
Thoughts from Martha: For a quicker, easier version of this slow cooker white bean chicken chili verde, substitute 2 cups of high quality green salsa for the olive oil, onion, cubanelle pepper, tomatillos, garlic, and fire-roasted chopped chiles. This is a great alternative when you are not in the mood for chopping and/or short on time 🙂
If you like this slow cooker chicken chili verde, be sure to check out my other Weight Watcher friendly recipes including: Vegetarian Chili, Slow Cooker 3-Bean Turkey Sausage Chili, Slow Cooker Pumpkin Black Bean Chili, Skinny Pepperoni Pizza Chili and Slow Cooker BBQ Turkey Chili
If you've made this Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili Verde, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili Verde
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cubanelle pepper, chopped
- 3 medium tomatillos, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 30 ounces canned Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 7 ounces canned fire-roasted chopped green chilies
- ¼ cup chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantor
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onions, for serving
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 6-Quart.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onions and cubanelle pepper and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatillos, garlic and 2-½ teaspoons of the cumin and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Alternatively, if using a Ninja 3-in-1 cooking system, make sure crock is inserted and turn stove top setting to medium. Add the oil, onions and cubanelle pepper. Stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatillos, garlic and 2-½ teaspoons of the cumin and continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, green chiles, jalapeno, broth, chicken breasts, cilantro, oregano, chili powder and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, or until done. If using a Ninja, check the chicken after about three hours because I feel they tend to cook hotter and faster than a regular slow cooker.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove chicken to a plate and shred with two forks. Return chicken to the slow cooker and stir well to combine. (Can set to BUFFET or WARM to keep until serving.)
- Season with salt and the remaining ½ teaspoon cumin, or to taste. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with green onions.
- Additional topping ideas include: light sour cream or Greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, avocado slices.
Make This White Bean Chicken Chili Verde Even QuickerThoughts from Martha: For a quicker, easier version of this slow cooker white bean chicken chili verde, substitute 2 cups of high quality green salsa for the olive oil, onion, cubanelle pepper, tomatillos, garlic, and fire-roasted chopped chiles. This is a great alternative when you are not in the mood for chopping and/or short on time 🙂 7 *SmartPoints (Green plan) 0 *SmartPoints (Blue plan) 0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan) 8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Source: Adapted from The SkinnyTaste Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here's a great video from Budget Bytes Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili using Tomatillo or Green Salsa:
Here's another great take on white bean chicken chili from AllRecipes. This one uses cooked chicken and canned tomatillos. Enjoy...
More Easy + Healthy Chili Recipes
Chili Cornbread Bake (EmilyBites)
Skinny Enchilada Turkey Chili (SkinnyKitchen)
Chipotle Chicken Chili (LaaLoosh)
WW Turkey, Corn & Black Bean Chili (RecipeDiaries)
Adobo Turkey Chili (HungryGirl)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!