(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 130)
I’m beginning to think I was crazy to challenge myself to use my crock pot everyday for a year to make Weight Watchers friendly recipes and post them here.
Stephanie made it look so easy.
On the bright side – this year-long project is now more than 35% complete
I’ve got my Mom to thank for this hearty slow cooker beef stew recipe, which is adapted (a lot) from the Ninja Cooking Easier, Healthier & Better Cookbook.
Is there anything more comforting than coming home at the end of a long cold day to the smell of a hearty stew simmering away in the crock pot?
Served with some warm, crusty bread, it’s hard to beat.
There’s really no wrong way to make beef stew. I tend to use whatever combination of vegetables and seasonings I’ve got on hand and never have made it exactly the same way twice.
This makes a big batch, but the good news is that it tastes even better the next day and you can freeze the leftovers for future quick and easy dinners and/or lunches.
To make this hearty slow cooker beef stew work with Simply Filling, I think it would be necessary to omit the flour, resulting in a thinner stew. Now that I’m in Maintenance, I’m not a Simply Filling purist (if I ever was).
And let’s be real, eating too much homemade beef stew isn’t what landed me in Weight Watchers in the first place!
- 2 pounds lean stew beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce (4 ounces canned)
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut in cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 can (about 15 ounces) cut canned string beans, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Ideal Slow Cooker: 6-Quart
- Season the beef with salt and pepper, then toss with the flour to coat the meat.
- Grease the crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the beef in the slow cooker.
- Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, garlic and thyme.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or until the beef and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Stir in chopped fresh parsley.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
For greater depth of flavor and color, brown the beef in a little oil first and then deglaze your pan with a little beef broth and then continue with the recipe.
Source: adapted from Ninja Cooking Easier, Healthier & Better Cookbook
If you liked this hearty slow cooker beef stew you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for hearty slow cooker beef stew calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.