(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 97)
Packed with flavor without being too spicy, this easy slow cooker BBQ turkey chili is like a cross between traditional southwest-style chili and sloppy joe’s.
Using convenient no-prep ingredients, it’s as easy as it is delicious.
You don’t even have to chop an onion, making this slow cooker BBQ Turkey chili a perfect choice when you are feeling especially lazy or are short on time.
I made a few changes to the original recipe. It called for ground turkey, but turkey sausage was on special the day I shopped, so I used it instead. And I cut the recipe in half, which still made 7 generous cups.
Served with corn muffins and a few of our favorite chili garnishes, this easy slow cooker BBQ turkey chili made a satisfying supper we both really enjoyed.
And the leftovers make a great quick and easy lunch.
- 1 pound uncooked turkey or chicken sausage
- ½ packet (1-ounce) taco seasoning
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) corn, drained
- If you have sausage links, cut open the casings to remove the sausage and discard the casings.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat add the turkey sausage and taco seasoning. Cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until sausage browns and is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to your slow cooker. (I used my 4-Quart.)
- Add the tomatoes, beans, barbecue sauce and corn.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours, until the turkey sausage is tender.
- Using a large spoon, skim off any excess fat that has accumulated on the surface of the chili.
- Stir and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with your favorite chili garnishes.
Source: Adapted from Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2
If you liked this Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Turkey Chili you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker BBQ chili calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.