Pot pie is one of my favorite comfort foods. Rod’s too. So, when I came across this recipe for Mom’s Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie in Weight Watchers Comfort Classics: 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes, I thought it would be a great way to use up the leftover rotisserie chicken sitting in the fridge. Calling for a package of refrigerated biscuits, it looked quick and easy to put together.
I can’t remember the last time I bought/ate refrigerated biscuits from a tube but decided to try Trader Joe’s buttermilk biscuits since they seemed to contain less goop than most of the national brands. The container was bigger than called for in the recipe, but I decided I could just bake off the extras separately.
I also made a few other changes to this chicken and biscuit pot pie recipe, substituting celery for fennel and evaporated milk for fat free half and half in the spirit of using what I have and avoiding an extra trip to the grocery store.
Rod really enjoyed this Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie. I liked the filling, but not the biscuits. I guess I’m a biscuit snob because I didn’t think it was worth the calories and tossed most of it away, saving several PointsPlus in the process, I might add! Maybe Pillsbury Simply Buttermilk Biscuits refrigerated biscuits would have been better? I’m not sure.
Taking the easy way out backfired on me this time. I hate when that happens. I could have mixed up a small batch of homemade buttermilk biscuits in less than 10 minutes and they would have tasted a lot better. So, that’s exactly what I’ll do next time.
If you, like Rod, are fine with refrigerated biscuits, I’d say give this recipe a try as written. If you’re like me, it’s probably worth the extra time to make your own biscuits.
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas and green beans)
- 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 package (6 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 3-quart shallow baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth, evaporated milk, flour, mustard and pepper until well blended.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mixed vegetables, chicken and broth mixture. Increase heat to medium high and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes more. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange the biscuits on top of the chicken mixture and cook until the filling is bubbly and the biscuits are golden brown, 10-15 minutes.