Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Chicken Pot Pie Soup
(269 calories | *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Did you like chicken pot pie growing up? I did. And I still do.
This great recipe from Gina Homolka, for SkinnyTaste Chicken Pot Pie Soup, provides all the flavor of chicken pot pie in a soup.
Soup + Chicken Pot Pie = Delicious Creamy Satisfying Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Perfect cold weather fare. Serve with crusty bread. Or fancy it up by topping it with a baked biscuit or crouton of baked puff pastry.
Skinny on SkinnyTaste Chicken Pot Pie Soup
I modified this to use up the leftover rotisserie chicken I had on hand.
Gina’s recipe calls for 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts. Either will work deliciously.
I just waited and added my cooked chicken in with the potatoes.
We loved this soup. It’s definitely going on my make again list.
According to my calculations, each serving (without the biscuit) has 269 calories, *7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, and *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe Variations
vegetarian/vegan – skip the chicken, use vegetable broth and your favorite dairy free milk, add more vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, squash, etc.
different meats – substitute cooked chicken or turkey or ham for the boneless, skinless chicken breasts
If you like this skinny chicken pot pie soup, be sure to check out these Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup, Chicken White Bean Salsa Soup, Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup Made Lighter, Lightened Up Cheeseburger Soup and WW Friendly Ham & Potato Soup
If you’ve made this low fat Chicken Pot Pie Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
SkinnyTaste Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chicken Bouillon (jarred Better than Bouillon)
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cold water and the flour to make a slurry. Set it aside.
- In a large soup pot, combine 1-1/2 cups water and the milk. Slowly bring to a boil over medium-low heat.
- Add the chicken, frozen vegetables, celery, onion, mushrooms, bullion, thyme and black pepper. Bring back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and partially cover the pot. Let the mixture simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside.
- Add the potatoes and continue to cook until the vegetables are soft, 10 to 20 minutes more (depending on how large your pieces of potato are).
- Meanwhile, chop or shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Add the chicken to the soup and slowly stir in the slurry (water/flour mixture). Cook until the soup thickens, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper as necessary.
Recipe source: adapted from The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor by Gina Homolka
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video from The Domestic Geek shows how to make another version of chicken pot pie soup with pie crust crackers:
Tools I Used for this making this Pot Pie Soup
Looking for More Easy + Healthy Soup Recipes?
- Baked Potato Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- WW Lasagna Soup (RecipeDiaries)
- Hungry Chick Chunky Soup (HungryGirl)
- Sausage & Tortellini Tomato Soup (EmilyBites)
- Olive Garden Inspired Minestrone (EatYourselfSkinny)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!