Weight Watcher’s Recipe of the Day: Mom’s Chicken & Biscuit Pot Pie
Pot pie is one of my favorite comfort foods. Rod’s too.
So, when I came across this recipe for Mom’s Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie in Weight Watchers Comfort Classics: 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes, I thought it would be a great way to use up the leftover rotisserie chicken sitting in the fridge.
Calling for a package of refrigerated biscuits, it looked quick and easy to put together.
I can’t remember the last time I bought/ate refrigerated biscuits from a tube, but decided to try Trader Joe’s buttermilk biscuits since they seemed to contain less goop than most of the national brands.
The container was bigger than called for in the recipe, but I decided I could just bake off the extras separately.
Skinny on Mom’s Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie
In order to lighten it up, I also made a few other changes to this chicken and biscuit pot pie recipe.
I substituted celery for fennel, and evaporated milk for fat-free half-and-half in the spirit of using what I have and avoiding an extra trip to the grocery store.
Rod really enjoyed this Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie.
I liked the filling, but not the biscuits. I guess I’m a biscuit snob because I didn’t think it was worth the calories and tossed most of it away, saving several WW Points in the process, I might add!
Maybe Pillsbury Simply Buttermilk Biscuits refrigerated biscuits would have been better? I’m not sure.
Taking the easy way out backfired on me this time.
I hate when that happens!
I could have mixed up a small batch of homemade buttermilk biscuits in less than 10 minutes and they would have tasted a lot better. So, that’s exactly what I’ll do next time 🙂
If you, like Rod, are fine with refrigerated biscuits, I’d say give this recipe a try as written.
If you’re like me, it’s probably worth the extra time to make your own biscuits.
According to my calculations, each serving has 324 calories, *8 Weight Watchers Points Plus, *8 SmartPoints and *6 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
If you liked this lightened up chicken pot pie recipe, be sure to check out some of my other Weight Watchers friendly lightened up comfort food recipes including: SkinnyTaste Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Mini Chicken Pot Pies Made Light & Easy, Easy Slow Cooker Chicken a la King, Slow Cooker Chicken Rice & Broccoli and Skinny Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Mom's Chicken & Biscuit Pot Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 6 ounces refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees. Spray a 3-quart shallow baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth, evaporated milk, flour, mustard and pepper until well blended.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the mixed vegetables, chicken and broth mixture into the onion mixture. Increase heat to medium high and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes more. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange the biscuits on top of the chicken mixture and cook until the filling is bubbly and the biscuits are golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
Source adapted from Weight Watchers Comfort Classics : 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!