Healthy banana muffins with a double dose of chocolate. All I can say is YUM.
I’m always on the lookout for new ways to use up the over ripe bananas that invariably end up languishing on the counter. I can’t stand to toss them away.
This weekend I was ready to turn my way-too-ripe bananas into something more special: chocolate banana muffins.
Muffins are a favorite, but I don’t often indulge in them during the week, preferring to keep them as a weekend treat – especially when they contain chocolate!
These skinny chocolate banana muffins have just 5 WW PointsPlus Value, making them a manageable indulgence. They could defintely work as dessert in my book, especially if dusted with a little confectioners sugar or drizzled with a bit of icing.
They are at their best still warm from the oven, but will stay moist and tempting for a few days, particularly if you reheat them in a warm oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place paper liners in a 12 cup standard muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and oil until well blended.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir together just until blended. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the lined muffin cups.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Take the pan from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 2 or 3 minutes and then take them out and place them directly on the wire rack to cool completely.