I love taking favorite foods – like for example, muffins – and figuring out ways to make them lighter and healthier so I can indulge in them without guilt.
This tasty 3 cheese garden vegetable pizza with whole wheat crust is a great example of how easy it is to make pizza that is healthy and delicious.
I adapted it from The Pampered Chef.
It’s made with whole wheat pizza dough, reduced fat cheese and loaded with lots of fresh vegetables.
I used red bell peppers, onions, fresh Roma tomatoes and mushrooms, but most any combination of fresh vegetables will work.
Other great healthy vegetable topping choices include thinly sliced zucchini, fresh roughly chopped spinach, quartered artichoke hearts, roasted bell peppers and fresh corn. (One of the most delicious pizzas I ever had was topped with a combination of fresh tomatoes, fresh corn and basil.)
- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Mix
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Press whole wheat dough out to fill a 10x15-inch pan. (I use a stone pan that I love for this, but a metal jelly roll pan will work too.)
- Bake the crust 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack.
- While the crust is baking slice onion, pepper and tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Using a garlic press, press garlic over the warm crust and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses evenly over crust.
- Top evenly with onion, pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle grate Parmesan cheese over vegetables.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning mix.
- Return to the oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Cut into 12 rectangles using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
Source:Adapted from The Pampered Chef
More Weight Watchers Friendly Pizza Recipes
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!