Today I'm sharing a recipe for Southwest Ground Turkey Vegetable Soup from WW Healthy Kitchen The All New Chicken Cookbook , one of my latest cookbook acquisitions.
As noted in the recipe's introduction, "This quick and delicious one-pot meal is loaded with fresh and satisfying ground turkey breast, veggies and beans. It makes for a comforting (gluten-free) weeknight family meal. You could also portion it out and freeze it to take to work for lunch."
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Ground Turkey Southwestern Vegetable Soup?
According to my calculations, each 1-½ cup serving has 249 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How to Make Southwest Turkey Vegetable Soup Step-by-Step
Step 1: Gather and Prep Your Ingredients and then Get Cooking....
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
Step 2: Add turkey, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt and cook, breaking up turkey with wooden spoon , until it is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
Add broth, zucchini, tomatoes, corn and beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper to suit your tastes.
Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
We all thought this simple southwest ground turkey vegetable soup was hearty and delicious. If you like bolder/spicier flavors, kick it up with hotter chili powder, a pinch of cayenne and/or few dashes of hot sauce.
Additions & Variations
vegetarian – substitute your favorite veggie crumbles or additional beans for the ground turkey and vegetable broth (affiliate link) for the chicken broth
veggie rich – add more veggies, carrots, celery, cauliflower, yellow squash, green beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc.
spicy – kick up the heat with additional chile powder and/or cayenne
different – substitute chicken/turkey sausage, lean ground beef, or pork for the ground turkey breast. Chicken or turkey meatballs would be good too. Just be sure to adjust your SmartPoints accordingly.
We enjoyed a large chopped salad and crusty bread with our soup. Cornbread and/or muffins would also be delicious.
Ways to Use Leftovers
I think this soup tasted even better for lunch the next day. Portion out individual servings and freez for future quick and easy meals.
If you've made this Southwest-Spiced Turkey and Vegetable Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
WW Southwest Ground Turkey Vegetable Soup
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground skinless turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen, canned or fresh)
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) white beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- lime wedges, if desired, for serving
- In a large soup pot, or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Add turkey, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt and cook, breaking up turkey with wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes, corn and beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper to suit your tastes.
- Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Recipe source: The All New Chicken Cookbook from WW Healthy Kitchen
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Soup Recipes:
- 5-Ingredient Asparagus Minestrone Soup
- Easy Healthy Slow Cooker Spicy Cajun Soup
- Skinny Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup
- Quick & Easy Chicken Salsa & White Bean Soup
- Easy Healthy Tex-Mex Turkey Pinto Bean Chili
- Healthy Tuscan Vegetable & White Bean Soup
- WW Zero Point Garden Vegetable Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!