WW Recipe of the Day: WW Hoppin' John Salad with Quinoa
Are you eating black-eyed peas on New Years Day? It's a generations-old Southern tradition thought to bring good luck and prosperity that I adopted back in 2012, with my inaugural batch of Slow Cooker Vegetarian Black-Eyed Peas.
But, this year, I'm opting for this Weight Watchers Hoppin' John Salad with Quinoa, a modern interpretation of a southern classic, that is as delicious as it is nutrient rich.
What is Hoppin John?
Traditional Hoppin' John is a rich bean dish made of black-eyed peas simmered with spicy sausages, ham hocks, or fat pork, and rice. This recipe is a lighter variation perfect for ringing in the new year in a healthier way.
Hoppin' John Salad with Quinoa Recipe Notes
Quick and easy to prepare, this colorful, flavorful side dish calls for canned black-eyed peas so it can be assembled in less than 30 minutes.
No Quinoa? No quinoa or not a fan? You could always substitute the same amount of rice.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Black Eyed Pea & Quinoa Salad?
According to my calculations each generous 1 cup serving has 202 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Gluten-Free Hoppin' John Salad with Quinoa, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Weight Watchers Hoppin' John Salad with Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ pound lean ham, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
- Combine the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan set over high heat. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer, covered, until most of the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and then scrape the quinoa into a large bowl and let it cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, oil and salt. Pour mixture over the quinoa and toss to coat.
- Add the black-eyed peas, ham, bell peppers, scallions, cilantro and jalapeno. Toss to combine.
- Serve at room temperature.
Source: adapted from Weight Watchers Momentum Healthy and Happy Celebrations
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Quinoa Salad you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Black-Eyed Peas
- Hearty Black Eyed Pea Slow Cooker Soup with Vegetables & Sausage
- Instant Pot Quinoa
- How to Make Quinoa on the Stovetop
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!