Are you eating black-eyed peas on New Years Day? It’s a generations-old Southern tradition thought to bring good luck and prosperity that I adopted back in 2012, with my inaugural batch of Slow Cooker Vegetarian Black-Eyed Peas.
But, this year, I’m opting for this Weight Watchers Hoppin’ John Salad with Quinoa, a modern interpretation of a southern classic, that is as delicious as it is nutrient rich.
Skinny on Hoppin John Salad with Quinoa
Quick and easy to prepare, this colorful, flavorful side dish calls for canned black-eyed peas so it can be assembled in less than 30 minutes. According to my calculations each generous 1 cup serving has 202 calories and 5 Points Plus.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can about 15 ounces black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 pound lean ham chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 small jalapeno pepper seeded and finely minced
- Combine the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan set over high heat. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer, covered, until most of the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Drain and then scrape the quinoa into a large bowl and let it cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, oil and salt. Pour mixture over the quinoa and toss to coat. Add the black-eyed peas, ham, bell peppers, scallions, cilantro and jalapeno. Toss to combine.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1 generous cup): 202 calories, 4 g fat, 33 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein and *5 Points Plus.
Source: adapted from Weight Watchers Momentum Healthy and Happy Celebrations
*PointsPlus® for Weight Watchers Hoppin John Salad with Quinoa calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!