WW Recipe of the Day: Light & Creamy Potato Soup
(147 calories | *4 WW SmartPoints)
This light and creamy pureed potato soup is another winner from The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day by Wini Moranville, a cookbook I’m having a lot of fun with at the moment.
The Skinny on Light Potato Soup
A huge fan of pureed potato soup, this one is fresher and lighter than most, with a healthy dose of fresh herbs, just a touch of cream and no additional thickeners. Rod, a man who much prefers subtle flavors, called it “ambrosial.”
Terrific as a first course, this Silky and Light Potato Soup is perfect as part of a light supper served with salad and warm crusty bread. As I’ve mentioned several times here on Simple Nourished Living, homemade soup for supper is one of my favorite simple and delicious winning weight loss strategies.
If you have never cooked with leeks, there’s a helpful video at the end of this post for a skinny chunky potato leek soup from Jamie Oliver.
According to my calculations each serving has 147 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this fresh and light potato soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
The Bonne Femme Silky Light Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium leeks, white and pale green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed and sliced crosswise (about 1 cup)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds white or yellow potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh parsley, chervil, or chives, or a combination
- Place the butter in a 4-Quart saucepan and melt it over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring until softened, but not brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth so that it doesn't splatter and then add the potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then lower the heat, cover the pan, and cook at an active simmer until the potatoes are very tender and can easily be pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and reheat gently over low heat.
- Stir in the cream. Taste and add more salt and/or pepper if needed.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with the fresh herbs.
Source: The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day by Wini Moranville
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Potato Soup Recipes
- Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Spanish Potato Onion Soup
- Skinny Potato Leek Soup – a chunky version from Jamie Oliver
- Skinny Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!