(Weight Watchers Crock Pot Recipes #206 – Slow Cooker German Potato Salad)
A quick look around the archives here on Simple Nourished Living confirms my love for potato salad. I’ve got recipes for old-fashioned potato salad, red potato salad, sweet potato salad, Greek potato salad. And more I never posted.
Last year around this time I made a lightened up Red, White and Blue Potato Salad perfect for July 4th. (Can you believe The 4th of July is almost here again? This year I’ve talked my brother, sister and mom into a slow cooker focused holiday!)
Obviously, I love potato salad and rarely make it the same way twice. Somehow German potato salad had eluded me till now.
Skinny on Slow Cooker German Potato Salad
I adapted this recipe for slow cooker German potato salad from a great article on using your slow cooker for summer parties in the June issue of Eating Well. Talk about right up my alley!
If you’re not a fan of creamy potato salads, you’ll want to give this slow cooker German potato salad a try. It’s a lighter healthier alternative to the mayonnaise based kind. Packed with flavor thanks to generous amounts of vinegar, whole grain mustard and dill, it tastes great served warm or at room temperature.
I made a half batch which resulted in 6 small servings of about 1/3 cup each. According to my calculations each serving has 121 calories and *3 Points Plus.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion (about 1 medium)
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat turning occasionally, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to cool, reserving the drippings. Crumble the cooled bacon and refrigerate until serving time.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Saute the onion in the drippings until tender about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the vinegar, mustard, flour, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Scrape mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes and celery. Stir well to coat with dressing.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, 6 to 8 hours.
- When ready to serve stir in the dill and crumbled bacon.
Source: adapted from Eating Well Magazine (June 2014)
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker German potato salad calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked slow cooker German Potato Salad you might also like:
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.