WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker German Potato Salad
(121 calories | 3 3 1 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
A quick look around the archives here on Simple Nourished Living confirms my love for potato salad.
Last year around this time, I made a lightened up Red, White and Blue Potato Salad that's perfect for July 4th. Can you believe The 4th of July is almost here again? This year I've talked my brother, sister and mom into a slow cooker focused holiday!
Obviously, I love potato salad and rarely make it the same way twice. Somehow, German potato salad had eluded me, till now.
Skinny on Slow Cooker German Potato Salad
I adapted this recipe for slow cooker German potato salad from a great article on using your slow cooker for summer parties in the June issue of Eating Well. Talk about right up my alley!
If you're not a fan of creamy potato salads, you'll want to give this German potato salad a try. It's a lighter healthier alternative to the mayonnaise based kind.
Packed with flavor thanks to generous amounts of vinegar, whole grain mustard and dill, it tastes great served warm or at room temperature.
I made a half batch which resulted in 6 small servings of about ⅓ cup each. According to my calculations each serving has 121 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker German Potato Salad
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion (about 1 medium)
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-½ pounds yukon gold potatoes (cut into chunks)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat turning occasionally, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to cool, reserving the drippings. Crumble the cooled bacon and refrigerate until serving time.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Saute the onion in the drippings until tender about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the vinegar, mustard, flour, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Scrape mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes and celery. Stir well to coat with dressing.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, 6 to 8 hours.
- When ready to serve stir in the dill and crumbled bacon.
Source: adapted from Eating Well Magazine (June 2014)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
- Crock Pot Potatoes Dijonnaise
- Crock Pot Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
- Easy Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!