WW Recipe of the Day: Creamy Red, White & Blue Potato Salad
(141 calories | *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Here’s a lightened up creamy red, white, and blue potato salad perfect for your Fourth of July celebration, or any summer gathering. Using a combination of small red skinned, Yukon and purple (Peruvian) potatoes make it attractive and festive.
It’s hard to go wrong with potato salad. As Laurie Colwin says in her wonderful book, Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen, “There’s no such thing as really bad potato salad. So long as the potatoes are not undercooked, it all tastes pretty good to me. Some potato salads are sublime, some are miraculous and some are merely ordinary, but I have yet to taste any that was awful.”
Like Laurie, I love potato salad and rarely make it the same way twice.
Skinny on Lightened Up Creamy Red, White & Blue Potato Salad
This one is just a slight variation of my favorite variation of the moment, and a creamy lightened-up potato salad that uses non-fat Greek yogurt for part of the mayonnaise.
I changed it up slightly by using the three different color potatoes and adding some chopped hard-boiled egg and a dollop of Dijon mustard.
How Many Calories/SmartPoints in Lightened Up Potato Salad Recipe?
According to my calculations each serving (about 1/2 cup) has 141 calories and *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this enlightened creamy potato salad recipe, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Chicken Potato Salad, WW Dill Potato Salad, Slow Cooker German Potato Salad and Light & Zesty Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad
If you’ve made this Lightened Up Potato Salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Lightened Up Creamy Red, White & Blue Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds small potatoes (combination of red skinned, Yukon and blue/purple)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, divided
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 hardboiled eggs, chopped
- Paprika, if desired
- In a large saucepan, place the potatoes and just enough water to cover them. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently until tender when pierced with a small sharp knife, 20 to 30 minutes (depending on their size).
- Drain and drizzle the hot potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the vinegar. Let stand until cool enough to handle and then cut them into bite-size cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, remaining vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper until well blended.
- Add the cubed potatoes, celery and onion and toss until everything is well coated. Stir in the chopped eggs.
- Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to chill and allow the flavors to blend.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch this entertaining video as talented British chef, Jamie Oliver shows how to make perfect potato salad – 3 different ways:
More Potato Salad Recipes Made Lighter:
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Potato Salad! (HungryGirl)
- Skinny Potato Salad, Caesar Style (SkinnyKitchen)
- Baby Red Potato Salad (SkinnyTaste)
- Potato Salad with Rosemary & Capers Dressing (Cookin’Canuck)
- Pumped-Up Pesto Potato Salad (HungryGirl)
- Summer Veggie Potato Salad (EatYourselfSkinny)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!