Today I’m sharing this slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo that I made over the weekend. It was easy to put together and tasted great.
How Many Calories/Weight Watchers Points in this Slow Cooker Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Recipe?
Each generous serving has just 270 calories and *7 Weight Watchers points plus, *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe Notes
As a starting off point, I used the recipe for slow cooker chicken sausage gumbo from Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook .
Then made a few changes to jazz it up a bit.
Served over rice with warm crusty bread, this slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo was ready-and-waiting for us when we got home from the movies 🙂 Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this slow cooker gumbo with chicken and sausage, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika, optional
- 10 ounces frozen cut okra, thawed and drained (2-1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Hot red pepper sauce, for serving (if desired)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Put the chicken, sausage, celery, bell pepper, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tapioca, thyme and paprika (if using) in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- Add the okra and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and continue to cook on LOW until the okra is tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped scallions.
- Serve over cooked rice with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Source: Adapted from Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Osso Buco
- Crock Pot Artichoke Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Sausage
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!