WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
(270 calories | 7 7 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Today I’m sharing this slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo that I made over the weekend. It was easy to put together and tasted great.
How Many Calories/Weight Watchers Points in this Slow Cooker Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Recipe?
Each generous serving has just 270 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe Notes
As a starting off point, I used the recipe for slow cooker chicken sausage gumbo from Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook .
Then made a few changes to jazz it up a bit.
Served over rice with warm crusty bread, this slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo was ready-and-waiting for us when we got home from the movies 🙂 Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Slow Cooked Gumbo with Chicken and Sausage, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika, optional
- 10 ounces frozen cut okra, thawed and drained (2-1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Hot red pepper sauce, for serving (if desired)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Put the chicken, sausage, celery, bell pepper, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tapioca, thyme and paprika (if using) in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- Add the okra and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and continue to cook on LOW until the okra is tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped scallions.
- Serve over cooked rice with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Source: Adapted from Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Osso Buco
- Crock Pot Artichoke Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Sausage
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!