(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 84)
I made this slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo over the weekend and really liked how it turned out.
It was easy to put together and tasted great.
As a starting off point, I used the recipe for slow cooker chicken sausage gumbo from Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook.
Then made a few changes to jazz it up a bit.
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
Served over rice with warm crusty bread, this slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo was ready-and-waiting for us when we got home from the movies 🙂
Each generous serving has just 270 calories and *7 Weight Watchers points plus.
- ¾ pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ pound fully cooked smoked sausage, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (optional)
- 10 ounces frozen cut okra, thawed and drained (2-1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Hot red pepper sauce, for serving, if desired
- I used my 4-Quart slow cooker.
- Put the chicken, sausage, celery, bell pepper, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tapioca, thyme and paprika (if using) in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until the chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- Add the okra and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and continue to cook on low until the okra is tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped scallions.
- Serve over cooked rice with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Source: Adapted from Betty Crocker’s Slow Cooker Cookbook
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker chicken and sausage gumbo calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.