Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Pumpkin Pan Cotta Made Lighter
I chose to make a lighter healthier panna cotta which I dubbed “enlightened pumpkin panna cotta” for the Recipe ReDux challenge: “Orange you glad it’s fall?”
My response: “Yes, because that means it’s pumpkin season!”
While the markets are bursting with the orange colors of autumn from carrots, squash, and sweet potatoes, my favorite fall food (right after apples) is pumpkin.
Skinny on Enlightened Pumpkin Panna Cotta
In addition to being a tasty versatile addition to a wide range of breads, muffins, soups, salads, pastas and desserts, pumpkin puree offers plenty of health benefits.
With just 49 calories and 3 grams of fiber in each one-cup serving, it can keep you feeling fuller longer on fewer calories.
It’s also rich in potassium, Vitamin C and a wide array of anti-oxidants.
While panna cotta (which means cooked cream in Italian) is one of my favorite quick and easy desserts, it can be rich in calories and fat.
I adapted this pumpkin panna cotta recipe from one in Panna Cotta: Italy’s Elegant Custard Made Easy by Camilla Saulsbury, substituting the cream for a combination of fat-free evaporated milk and Greek yogurt.
I also divided the recipe in half to make 4 servings, instead of 8.
It’s an easy, healthy, creamy and delicious no-bake dessert with all the flavors of pumpkin pie and just *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
This video from Entertaining With Beth shows how to make your own healthy Greek Yogurt Panna Cotta:
If you like this recipe for enlightened pumpkin panna cotta, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly pumpkin recipes including Crock Pot Pumpkin Pie Pudding, Easy No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake, WW Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins, Skinny Pumpkin Pie Yogurt and Skinny Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Watch this brief video to learn more about Weight Watchers Freestyle:
Lighter, healthier pumpkin panna cotta-an easy and delicious Weight Watchers friendly dessert.
- 3/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- 6 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice cocktail
- Place the evaporated milk in a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over the milk. Let stand 5 minutes to soften the gelatin.
- Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until the mixture is completely dissolved, without letting it come to a boil.
- Whisk in the pumpkin, yogurt, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla until well blended and smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly amoung 4 (3/4-cup) custard cups or small molds. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and chill 4 hours or up to ovenight.
- To make the sauce heat the jelly and juice in a small saucpan just until melted and smooth. Add more juice if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature
To serve, cut around the edges of each panna cotta to loosen from the cup/mold. Set each cup in a shallow bowl of hot water for 10 seconds and then immediately invert each onto a plate. Spoon the sauce over and around each panna cotta and enjoy.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: *4
Weight Watchers SmartPoints: *7
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints: *7
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
In this quick video from Escoffier, watch how a professional chef makes pumpkin panna cotta:
More Weight Watchers Friendly Pumpkin Recipes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!