WW Recipe of the Day: FWDGF Skinny Chocolate Mousse
How about a little chocolate indulgence from the author of French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure ?
If you're a classic chocolate mousse lover looking to shave a few calories and Points where you can, here's a chocolate mousse recipe you're sure to love.
In the notes accompanying her recipe, author Mireille Guiliano explains that her family has at least a dozen different chocolate mousse recipes, since it's the French standard choice for homemade chocolate desserts.
Have you ever wondered why French women don't get fat?
Ever since my first trip to Paris more than twenty years ago, I've been intrigued by how French women don't get fat while indulging in some of the most delicious food in the world.
Or at least that's what we tell ourselves!
If you are curious to know more, here are 5 French Weight Loss Secrets that can work for Weight Watchers.
Skinny on French Women Don't Get Fat Chocolate Mousse
This is Guilian's personal favorite, pure and simple, without butter, coffee, cream or other flavorings and just a little sugar. It has more egg whites than yolks, which makes it lighter too.
It's made the classic French way: with raw eggs. If this is a concern, you can substitute pasteurized egg whites, just be sure they can be whipped. (Some can't be.)
Or check out this eggless chocolate mousse recipe that uses melted marshmallows and has only *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *11 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
I made this amazing chocolate mousse recipe on Sunday as a special treat. It's rich, creamy, dark and delicious.
Rod kept saying he didn't want it to end, but alas, all good things do.
How Many Calories and WW Points in Skinny Chocolate Mousse?
According to my calculations each serving has 158 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
This may not be the recipe for you if you are concerned about the risk of salmonella from raw eggs.
One option is to use pasteurized eggs. Another is to be sure to buy fresh eggs from a reputable source.
If you've made this Lite Chocolate Mousse, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
French Women Don't Get Fat Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, with at least 70% cacao preferred
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over a pan of simmering water. (Since I don't have a double boiler, I make my own by placing a glass heat proof bowl over a medium-size saucepan.)
- Remove the chocolate from the heat and stir in the sugar.
- Let the chocolate cool a bit and then stir in the yolks, one at a time.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold ⅓ of the whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remaining whites, being very gentle so you don't deflate the whites.
- Divide the mousse evenly among 6 small dessert dishes or pour into a serving bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours until firm.
Source: French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure by Mireille Guiliano
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Chocolate Mousse Recipe, Here are a Few More Weight Watchers Friendly Chocolate Dessert Recipes:
- Chocolate Pots de Creme - a super easy chocolate dessert (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Classic Chocolate Mousse (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Easy Chocolate Mint Whipped Cream Pie (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Chocolate Ricotta Mousse (SkinnyTaste)
- Double Chocolate Pudding (Weight Watchers)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!