Chocolate mousse is a classic dessert that has retained its popularity through the decades. And one of my favorite ways to indulge my chocolate cravings.
I don't eat it often, but when I do, I go for the real thing made with chocolate, butter, vanilla, eggs, sugar, and cream. With about 200 calories per serving, this chocolate mousse is definitely worth indulging in every now and again!
If you've made this classic chocolate mousse, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Classic Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Classic Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped into coarse chunks
- 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) butter
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee, brandy, rum, orange liqueur, or coffee liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream, chilled
- Whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave until melted and smooth, stopping to whisk the mixture often. This will take from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. Whisk in the egg yolks one at a time, making sure that each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next one. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a medium mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer on low speed until they are foamy. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue to whip while slowly adding in the sugar, until the egg whites are glossy and form soft peaks. (Soft peaks will bend or droop slightly downward from the tip of the whisk or beater when it is held up.)
- Whisk one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then, using a rubber spatula, gently fold the remaining egg whites into the chocolate mixture, until no large streaks of egg whites remain.
- Place the chilled cream in a medium mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer set on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mousse.
- Spoon the mixture into individual wine/dessert goblets or a large serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Serve garnished with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
Easy Eggless Chocolate Mousse with Marshmallows
Light and airy chocolate mousse is a favorite way to satisfy my chocolate cravings. In a traditional mousse recipe, the eggs serve as the aerator - making it turn out light and fluffy. In the case of this 5-ingredient chocolate mousse recipe without eggs, heavy whipped cream will serve the same purpose.
Easy 5 Ingredient Eggless Chocolate Mousse
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chopped into fine pieces
- ¾ cup heavy cream chilled
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, cook the marshmallows, milk, and chocolate over low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is melted and smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the chocolate marshmallow mixture to a medium bowl and place it in a larger bowl filled with ice water. Whisk often until cool and thickened, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip the chilled cream and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, until just a few white streaks remain.
- Spoon the chocolate mousse into individual goblets or a large serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 6 hours and up to 2 days.
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Favorite Lighter Chocolate Mousse Recipes
- Nutella Chocolate Mousse Recipe (SnackGirl)
- French Women Don't Get Fat Chocolate Mousse (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse (Simple Nourished Living)
- Chocolate-Espresso Mousse Shots (Weight Watchers)
- 3-Ingredient Chocolate Mousse (RecipeDiaries)
- Chocolate Cheesecake Dessert Cups (Simple Nourished Living)
How to make traditional chocolate mousse video:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!