Moist and satisfying, this skinny low fat cinnamon streusel coffee cake is a sweet and special way to start the day.
I’m a coffee cake lover.
There’s something so indulgent about having cake for breakfast.
It’s not something I do all the time, just every once in a while for a special treat.
Some of my favorite coffee cakes are the kind that begin with a yellow cake mix that you sprinkle with streusel layers of cinnamon, brown sugar and chopped nuts. The flavors remind me of the little Drake’s Coffee Cakes I was so fond of as a kid growing up back east. (If you prefer to bake from scratch check out this yummy coffee crumb cake recipe.)
For A Limited Time:
Enjoy 25% off your meal plan subscription when you subscribe today!
Skinny on Low Fat Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
This quick and easy skinny low fat cinnamon streusel coffee cake begins with a box of Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Cupcake Mix which is essentially a 9 ounce cake mix (instead of the standard 18.25 ounce package) designed to make just 12 cupcakes. You can always use half of a standard cake mix instead.
According to my calculations each serving has 149 calories and *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cupcake mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpse flour
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- To make the streusel, in a small bow, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans until well combined.
- To make the cake, in a large bowl, beat together the dry cake mix, flour, yogurt, water, oil, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Scrape ½ the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out evenly.
- Sprinkle ½ the streusel mixture evenly over the batter in the pan. Scrape the remaining batter over the topping, spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the streusel topping over the cake batter.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Slice and serve while still a little warm.
*PointsPlus® for low fat cinnamon streusel coffee cake calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Links to more low fat coffee cakes:
Weight Watchers Cinnamon-Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe – sweet & delicious from scratch coffee cake with 5 WW PointsPlus Value found at Weight Watchers
Skinny Raspberry Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe – with just 160 calories, 5.5 g fat, 25.3 g carbs, 1.1 g fiber, 2.9 g protein and 4 WW PointsPlus per serving (1/12th of cake) found at Let’s Get Cooking Blog
Light Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe – with oats, walnuts and cinnamon. Each piece has 8 WW PointsPlus. From Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
Skinny Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins Recipe – light, lemony, tender and bursting with blueberries. Each muffin has 7 WW PointsPlus Value. From Nancy Fox at Skinny Kitchen.
If you liked this low fat cinnamon streusel coffee cake:
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.