Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Low-Fat Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Moist and satisfying, this skinny coffee cake is a sweet and special way to start the day.
I’m a coffee cake lover. There’s something so indulgent about having cake for breakfast.
It’s not something I do all the time, just every once in a while for a special treat.
Some of my favorite coffee cakes are the kind that begin with a yellow cake mix that you sprinkle with streusel layers of cinnamon, brown sugar and chopped nuts. The flavors remind me of the little Drake’s Coffee Cakes (affiliate link) I was so fond of as a kid growing up back east.
If you prefer to bake from scratch check out this yummy coffee crumb cake recipe
Skinny on Low-Fat Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
This quick and easy skinny low fat cinnamon streusel coffee cake begins with a box of Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Cupcake Mix (affiliate link), which is essentially a 9-ounce cake mix (instead of the standard 18.25-ounce package) designed to make just 12 cupcakes. You can always use half of a standard cake mix instead.
According to my calculations each serving has 149 calories and *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
Under Weight Watchers Freestyle Plan, this is now *5 Freestyle SmartPoints.
Watch this short video to learn more about Weight Watchers Freestyle:
If you’ve made this low-fat coffee cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Easy Skinny Low Fat Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe
For the streusel
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
For the coffee cake
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cupcake mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpse flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Lightly mist an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- To make the streusel, in a small bow, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans until well combined.
- To make the cake, in a large bowl, beat together the dry cake mix, flour, yogurt, water, oil, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Scrape 1/2 the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out evenly. Sprinkle 1/2 the streusel mixture evenly over the batter in the pan.
- Scrape the remaining batter over the topping, spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the streusel topping over the cake batter.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve while still a little warm.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this low fat cinnamon streusel coffee cake, you might also like:
- Grandma’s Favorite Coffee Cake Recipe
- Low Fat Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
- Mixed Berry Whole Wheat Coffee Cake
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!